New(ish) to Texas, need to fill geek-shaped-hole in my heart.

Susan 'Sky' Taylor

Jan 4, 2012, 11:56:13 PM1/4/12
to DToid Austin Emailer
I'm hoping this group is still alive. I've recently moved from England
to San Antonio and after chilling out on the Dtoid forums since
September I thought it was about time I actually tried to meet some
locals.

So, what do you folks do for fun in Texas?

Chaz

Jan 4, 2012, 11:57:49 PM1/4/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
I just got into Dallas myself a few months ago and I'm just now starting to get my feet underneath me.  This group is fairly quiet, but I'm hoping with the holidays being over we can get some things going again

Chaz

Conor Hogan

Jan 4, 2012, 11:58:41 PM1/4/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com

We drink beer and fill geek shaped holes.

Susan 'Sky' Taylor

Jan 4, 2012, 11:59:58 PM1/4/12
to DToid Austin Emailer
It's just a pain that Texas is so mahoosive.

Oh, and just in case I may know some of you on Dtoid already (although
I doubt it) I'm "The Virgin Queen" over there.

Conor Hogan

Jan 5, 2012, 12:01:38 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com

Dtoid has forums? ha! Welcome to Texas though. We do stuff at random intervals.

John Solgrim

Jan 5, 2012, 12:02:30 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
DTOID TEXAS BEST DTOID
--
- John Solgrim

Susan 'Sky' Taylor

Jan 5, 2012, 12:03:43 AM1/5/12
to DToid Austin Emailer
We should do more stuff at less random intervals. Stuff involving
alcohol, vidya games and other generic nerdy shite.

On Jan 4, 11:02 pm, John Solgrim <johnsolg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> DTOID TEXAS BEST DTOID
>
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:01 AM, Conor Hogan <conormichaelho...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Dtoid has forums? ha! Welcome to Texas though. We do stuff at random
> > intervals.
> > On Jan 4, 2012 10:59 PM, "Susan &apos;Sky&apos; Taylor" <
> - John Solgrim

Conor Hogan

Jan 5, 2012, 12:05:12 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com

How do we know that you havent come to take your country back? Effing terrorists!

Susan 'Sky' Taylor

Jan 5, 2012, 12:07:10 AM1/5/12
to DToid Austin Emailer
"Y'all" can keep it. I'm only here for the steaks.

Greg Lockwood

Jan 5, 2012, 12:16:29 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
A. What the fuck is Solgrim doing here?
B. Conor, do you know my probably favorite moment from the other weekend that I almost forgot about? Your sisters were saying you looked like someone famous (can't remember who), and I say, "Yeah, maybe if they had Bell's Palsy." and they both looked at me like I had slapped baby Jesus and you couldn't stop laughing. Good times.
C. Hello new person. Most of the activities happen in Austin. Sean Carey lives there and he is our "Grand Wizard", so to speak.

John Solgrim

Jan 5, 2012, 12:17:22 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Do I need a reason? I mean, really?
- John Solgrim

Conor Hogan

Jan 5, 2012, 12:19:14 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com

I remember that shit Greg. Fucking hilarious

Susan 'Sky' Taylor

Jan 5, 2012, 12:21:51 AM1/5/12
to DToid Austin Emailer
Austin, thankfully, is only an hour and a bit away so that's not too
shabby.

Daniel Sanford

Jan 5, 2012, 2:18:15 AM1/5/12
to DToid Austin Emailer
I'm an Austin native and though I haven't actually made it out to any
of the NARPs around Texas, they seem to happen about every 2-4 months
here in town. They're always going on when I have something else
already scheduled.

On Jan 4, 11:21 pm, "Susan 'Sky' Taylor"

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 7:47:08 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Who the fuck are you people?

Neal Ballard

Jan 5, 2012, 8:54:02 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Hey VQ! I'm always happy to see another Dtoider in my neck of the woods, especially a forumer like myself.  We usually hold something about every-other-month or so here in Austin, usually switching off between Sean Carey's place and mine, but I think one of our other NARP regulars (Bryan a.k.a Hoarr) is planning on something in a few weeks.  And if you're looking for steaks, then you came to the right place!

Janel

Jan 5, 2012, 9:32:21 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com, dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Dammit people, I can't just drive out to Austin whenever. I think us DFW people need to get together and complain about the rest of you.

Sent from my iPhone

Kerry Trotman

Jan 5, 2012, 9:50:01 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com

Ditto for Houston.

Conor Hogan

Jan 5, 2012, 9:52:40 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
I'm in Houston, and I only get off my ass to hang out with Greg and
Mike, now that our Drunkcast partner in crime (Travis) never goes
anywhere :P I love the rest of you, but I need people that I KNOW will
get at least as stupidly shitty as I like to.

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 9:54:18 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
And my axe!

Conor Hogan

Jan 5, 2012, 9:55:50 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Also, I demand Drunkcast reunion soon. I'm all graduated like a
cylinder and shit. So now I have the time and money to get drunk
whilst computing.

Neal Ballard

Jan 5, 2012, 9:59:36 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
To me, it makes the most sense to have meetups in Austin, since it's the most central of all the major Texas cities.  It's about equidistant from both Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston.

Allistair Pinsof

Jan 5, 2012, 10:32:50 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Also, two Dtoid staff members live in Austin!

Allistair Pinsof | Features/Reviews Writer, Destructoid
716 E. Dean Keeton
Austin, TX 78705
Tel: 713-447-7989

Associate Editor, Flixist

Twitter

Janel

Jan 5, 2012, 10:33:29 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com, dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
You shut your whore mouth.

/<3

Sent from my iPhone

Conor Hogan

Jan 5, 2012, 10:38:14 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com

Texas and drinking are never about what makes sense. Ill go where the fun is.

Neal Ballard

Jan 5, 2012, 11:22:45 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
@Allistair: and still you've yet to come to one of our meetups...

Conor Hogan

Jan 5, 2012, 11:23:23 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
TOLD

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 11:29:54 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com

OH SNAP

Allistair Pinsof

Neal Ballard

Jan 5, 2012, 12:51:22 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
And yet you will get a normal amount of queso, whatever candy/food stuffs I choose (or whoever is hosting), and normal beer/liquor (plus whatever other's bring).  In return you get to meet some pretty damn awesome people and, y'know, play games and stuff.

Janel

Jan 5, 2012, 12:58:47 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com, dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
To DFW? Got it. I love the brown M&Ms.

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 1:10:25 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
He just put that in there to make sure we're reading the contract correctly. Disregard.

Greg Lockwood

Jan 5, 2012, 1:11:36 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
No Janel. No one likes David Foster Wallace. People just need to suck it up and drive to Austin. Speaking of which, I might (hopefully) be moving to Austin within the month, and if so I will try to start help organizing things again.

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 1:16:02 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Greg! You should move to Austin to hang out with Travis and then drive to Dallas to see me!

jesse sosa

Jan 5, 2012, 2:14:02 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
I just moved to Austin from Dallas 6 months ago. Love it to death!

Neal Ballard

Jan 5, 2012, 3:10:00 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
On a side note, I just saw that the Zelda symphony will be coming through Austin on June 22.  I've got my tickets bought.  Anyone else plan on going?  Maybe I'll hold a NARP the following night as well.  Maybe.

Conor Hogan

Jan 5, 2012, 3:10:35 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
What the fuck are video games? Call me when Hall and Oates comes to town.

Daniel Sanford

Jan 5, 2012, 3:17:16 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
I thought about the Zelda Symphony...but I'm too broke even for the nosebleeds.

Hoarr

Jan 5, 2012, 5:27:34 PM1/5/12
to DToid Austin Emailer
"You shut your whore mouth.

/<3 "

What? Why!? I was just about to mention the upcoming NARP party!
(making new post now)

On Jan 5, 9:33 am, Janel <theiceme...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> You shut your whore mouth.
>
> /<3
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 5, 2012, at 8:59 AM, Neal Ballard <djne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > To me, it makes the most sense to have meetups in Austin, since it's the most central of all the major Texas cities.  It's about equidistant from both Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston.
>
> > On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Conor Hogan <conormichaelho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm in Houston, and I only get off my ass to hang out with Greg and
> > Mike, now that our Drunkcast partner in crime (Travis) never goes
> > anywhere :P I love the rest of you, but I need people that I KNOW will
> > get at least as stupidly shitty as I like to.
>
> > On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Kerry Trotman <kntrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ditto for Houston.

> read more »

Hoarr

Jan 5, 2012, 5:29:17 PM1/5/12
to DToid Austin Emailer
"What the fuck are video games? Call me when Hall and Oates comes to
town. "

Happened last year, maaaan. SHOULD'VE HUNG OUT!

They actually made-a my dreams come true (even though it was obvs.
that neither one of them wanting anything to do with each other --
good show, though).

On Jan 5, 2:10 pm, Conor Hogan <conormichaelho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What the fuck are video games? Call me when Hall and Oates comes to town.
>

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Neal Ballard <djne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On a side note, I just saw that the Zelda symphony will be coming through
> > Austin on June 22.  I've got my tickets bought.  Anyone else plan on
> > going?  Maybe I'll hold a NARP the following night as well.  Maybe.
>
> > On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM, jesse sosa <skankerz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I just moved to Austin from Dallas 6 months ago. Love it to death!

> read more »

Travis Kelldorf

Jan 5, 2012, 5:30:42 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com

You kids get off my lawn.
Damn Sunday drivers.

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 5:32:47 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
We've discussed this, that is the only day MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST allows me to drive. Speaking of witch, have I told you about MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST yet? I have pamphlets! :D Note: Not necessarily my lord and savior.

Travis Kelldorf

Jan 5, 2012, 6:04:09 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com

Bag, I would need to take more reading medicine and blah blah blah.

Janel

Jan 5, 2012, 6:23:55 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com, dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Unless I had a free bed to stay in and someone to chip in on gas I can't go because poor. That's why.

Sent from my iPhone

whosjo...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2012, 8:51:03 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
hey susan i too live in san antonio and have never been able to make a NARP, i tried once, feel free to contact me thru skype at whosjohndonut. there are a few cool bars here and a somewhat retro arcade on san pedro. it would be cool to start a dtoid movement in san antonio :D

On , Susan 'Sky' Taylor <susaneliza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm hoping this group is still alive. I've recently moved from England
>
> to San Antonio and after chilling out on the Dtoid forums since
>
> September I thought it was about time I actually tried to meet some
>
> locals.
>

> So, what do you folks do for fun in Texas?

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 8:54:21 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
I, too, am unable to hit the "shift" button when typing my sentences. Except for ever.

Kerry Trotman

Jan 5, 2012, 9:23:49 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
except for the parts for "NARP" and ":D"

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 9:30:11 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
No, there is a completely acceptable explanation for those:

Mavis Beacon

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mike Hagar <blehm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I, too, am unable to hit the "shift" button when typing my sentences. Except for ever.
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM, <whosjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
hey susan i too live in san antonio and have never been able to make a NARP, i tried once, feel free to contact me thru skype at whosjohndonut. there are  few cool bars here and a somewhat retro arcade on san pedro. it would be cool to start a dtoid movement in san antonio :D

John Tito

Jan 5, 2012, 9:31:06 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
someday i will learn how to master teh keyboard but for now i am just a scrub

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 9:33:49 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Don't feel bad. One day I'll be funny, as well as an unrepentant asshole. :D

Kerry Trotman

Jan 5, 2012, 9:34:50 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Oh wait!

Mike Hagar

Jan 5, 2012, 9:35:28 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Shhhhhhh you'll ruin the illusion

Greg Lockwood

Jan 5, 2012, 9:38:33 PM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
Illusion, Michael. A trick is som- Oh, nevermind. You got it right the first time.

Aaron Strader

Jan 5, 2012, 8:21:04 AM1/5/12
to dtoid-aust...@googlegroups.com
We should schedules somethings around SXSW in Austin.

And we need to do a proper one up in Dallas again where at least FOUR of us are located.  I just get so wrapped up in school since I've been working on my MBA for the last year.