Some 18PA questions

Rick Westerman

Nov 2, 2012, 9:54:21 PM11/2/12
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
My friend John and I are getting back to playtesting 18PA with the new map and rules.  Since we haven't looked at 'PA for a while and thus havent' been paying a lot attention to the newsgroups the following may be buried inside previous discussions.  Apologies in advance if they have been already covered.

1.       Can the Fall Island Ferry (H25 & G26) be upgraded to green?

2.       Does the arrow at (yellow) Boston SW only allow a tile placement on E26 or does it permit entry & payoff for Boston.

3.       Do LGC need only the rail connection to their destination or a valid route (i.e. do hostile tokened cities block the destination).

 Thanks,

-- Rick

David Hecht

Nov 2, 2012, 10:51:25 PM11/2/12
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com

On 11/2/2012 9:54 PM, Rick Westerman wrote:
> My friend John and I are getting back to playtesting 18PA with the new
> map and rules. Since we haven't looked at 'PA for a while and thus
> havent' been paying a lot attention to the newsgroups the following
> may be buried inside previous discussions. Apologies in advance if
> they have been already covered.
>

> 1.Can the Fall Island Ferry (H25 & G26) be upgraded to green?

No. Furthermore, the tiles are removed as soon as brown phase (5-train)
starts.

> 2.Does the arrow at (yellow) Boston SW only allow a tile placement on
> E26 or does it permit entry & payoff for Boston.

The arrow actually restricts tile placement on that tile by requiring
any tile to connect to Boston (similar to various other similar small
arrowheads elsewhere, e.g. G18 and G20. It should be treated as existing
track, whose connection to the adjacent hex must be maintained.

This is discussed in the second paragraph of the section entitled "Track
Placement Step": "When placing a
yellow tile in a hex that contains a railhead (a small triangle
connecting to track in an adjacent hex), the yellow tile must connect to
the railhead." Although--in reviewing the rules preparatory to answering
your question--I now see that the definition of a railhead doesn't
actually cover this situation. Sigh.

> 3.Do LGC need only the rail connection to their destination or a valid
> route (i.e. do hostile tokened cities block the destination).

Sadly, hostile tokens block, although it's hard to see how you could
destinate if you were blocked by hostile tokens. <later> Oh, I get it:
what if someone other than the LGC establishes a route to the desto, but
it's blocked? Yeah, I see that: too bad, so sad! :-)

> Thanks,
>
> -- Rick

Always a pleasure, bro! :-)