Proposed 18PA changes

David Hecht

Oct 24, 2012, 9:05:30 AM10/24/12
to dtg-proto
The recent changes to 18PA have alleviated but not entirely corrected
the congestion in the southwestern part of the board. I've given the
matter a great deal of thought, and I have some suggested changes I was
hoping those who've played the game in its current (or relatively
recent) incarnation would comment on. I've listed these changes in
descending order of their likelihood of making it into the next build,
but I'd like to hear reax first.

1. Tweak up the values of the PIT and COL off-map areas to 20/40/60.
This would make destinating earlier more attractive for the PRR and the
B&O, as their destination would now be worth $40 in yellow, with
commensurate increases in the green and brown phases. Values of 20/30/50
and 20/40/50 are also under consideration.

2. Add a grey $60 tile for BUF (identical to the current grey BAL tile).
This would be a companion upgrade to the above, to compensate the Erie.

3. (The Big One) Change PHI to a preprinted yellow tile with exits to
the East, Southwest and Northwest (identical to EWR) but with value $30.
This tile would upgrade to a green $40 tile with each city circle
gaining an exit on the opposite hexside (it would look like the green
ATL tile from 1832). Along with this, the Reading would be downgraded to
a local company (it would become local #4: the existing #4 assignment to
the D&H is superfluous, and the Erie Canal Company (#0) and D&H) would
be relabeled P1 and P2) and moved to the NW PHI city circle. Reading
would be downgraded back to a dot town.

4. To compensate for the elimination of the Reading as the 8th public
company, I am toying with the idea of adding in a company to be called
the Transit Authority, which would provide an alternate resting place
for dead locals. This company would have limited abilities, but would
provide a respectable revenue to its shareholders, who would exchange
their dead locals for shares of its stock. These in turn would become
the TA's trains (and of course tokens) once phase 5 began.

Your comments are solicited.