18NY

Richard Clyne

Feb 28, 2013, 8:04:31 AM2/28/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
I am thinking of playing 18NY this weekend, however the rules and components on the proto site do not seem to match up. Is there somewhere else I should be looking to play using v0.99?

Richard

Chris Nasipak

Feb 28, 2013, 8:15:22 AM2/28/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
I had handmade a set myself for our group. The last rules update did introduce a few small :) changes, which I had to correct manually.

The only changes I recall making were several small map changes (mostly the pass-thru offboards) and making a pair of 5E train cards.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 28, 2013, at 8:04 AM, Richard Clyne <rcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am thinking of playing 18NY this weekend, however the rules and components on the proto site do not seem to match up. Is there somewhere else I should be looking to play using v0.99?
>
> Richard

Richard Clyne

Feb 28, 2013, 9:11:09 AM2/28/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
I think the information for the trains is in the newest rule book. Are the map changes documented anywhere?
Richard

Pierre Games

Feb 28, 2013, 9:31:19 AM2/28/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
I can send you the latest errata if it's not already on the proto web site.

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Clyne

Feb 28, 2013, 12:08:09 PM2/28/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
can you send it to me directly and I'll get my current copy amended
Richard

Chris Nasipak

Mar 16, 2013, 8:54:06 PM3/16/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
They killed the New York Central!

Another play of Pierre's very interesting 18NY today.
Players: Chris N, Bill P, Matt G, John

Privates auction went quickly with Matt snapping up P1, Chris got the stagecoach and coalfields, John got the trainyard, and Bill got the DHRR and the Erie Canal.

Only seven minors opened the first SR. Chris took the 1 and 9, Bill the 5, Matt the 3 and 10, and John the 6 and 11.

A couple of sr's in, new majors started to open. John picked up the Erie, Matt the RWO, and Bill opened the Hudson River rr. Chris opened minor 2.

By this point the Albany-Buffalo link was close to complete. John considered completing it but declined as he would not be able to get control of the NYC.

Then we got the first upset of the night, as Matt's Rwo bought out minor 1 from Chris. This left Chris enough cash to open minor 4 and the Nw York & Harlem in the next Sr. The next set of ors ended with the nyc forming, Chris with 3 shares, all others with 2. Bill promptly purchased the last share, having had priority for the sr. Chris opened the nynh&h that round.

The nyc picked up a discarded 4h from the bank pool but it did not last. Nynh&h bought the first 5e, the nyc took 10 loans and personal cash from chris to buy the other 5e... Which was promptly bought in by the nyh.

The new york central entered the sr trainless, burdened by 10 loans, and at a $30 share value. Bill had priority and mercy-killed it, selling his shares and dropping it into the "closed" section.

Matt sold off most of his rwo shares to raise cash for a diesel, apparently forgetting that he could take loans.

A bit of train shuffling later, the nyh and nynhh both had d+5e and were paying out about $170/share.

Final standings:

Chris $7690
Bill $6628
John $6501
Matt $3020

Notes: Matt and John both had never played 18NY before, and had no preconceptions on strategy going in. John at least commented that he had expected the minors to be used closer to 18EU, where they were expected to fold into (and help capitalize) a major, rather than the NYC as they do here. We had a rather light opening round as far as minors opening, compared to our previous games, and the Erie Canal paid out about $320 or more, if I remember right.

The train rush was described as "slow to build, harsh to finish, but manageable".

We had our first ever use of the hostile takeover rules.

We could use clarification on the merger/takeover rules.
If you're buying in a public/major company that you're the president of, do you pay market value for shares owned by other players, or the triple value noted for hostile takeovers?

We could use an FAQ update to the rules with clarification on this, emergency fund raising and presidential contributions, and how to collect and lose the bonus tokens.

Pierre LeBoeuf

Mar 18, 2013, 9:55:17 PM3/18/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com, Pierre LeBoeuf
Thanks for playing 18NY again, guys!

Here are some answers to your questions:
For a friendly takeover of a public company, all the shares should cost the same.

I'm not sure what the question is on emergency fund raising. If a share company has no train, the president must provide one. They may use loans, sell shares of the company needing the train, or personal cash, in any combination. If loans are used, the train purchased must be the cheapest available (including any scrapped but not obsolete trains in the pool). If personal money is used, shares may be sold in sufficient numbers to raise needed capital (but no more). And, as always, you may not sell shares to dump the trainless company on someone else.

Bonus tokens are taken by the first RR to serve the town, city, or off-board location. The RR continues to collect the bonus, even if they don't run to the location in succeeding turns. The marker stays until the company either becomes trainless or is acquired by another company. Coal tokens are similar, but an eligible company does not ever have to run to the off-board location, and they never go away, following the company through any acquisitions.

Sent from my iPad

Chris Nasipak

Mar 18, 2013, 10:18:34 PM3/18/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 18, 2013, at 9:55 PM, Pierre LeBoeuf wrote:

> Thanks for playing 18NY again, guys!
>
> Here are some answers to your questions:
> For a friendly takeover of a public company, all the shares should cost the same.

Thanks, Pierre. This is one that we actually had to wonder about.
I was considering buying out the NYC instead of letting it die, but I would have had to pay off the loans I'd just laden it down with. In the end I just let Bill sell his shares and drop it into the Closed segment of the market.

> I'm not sure what the question is on emergency fund raising. If a share company has no train, the president must provide one. They may use loans, sell shares of the company needing the train, or personal cash, in any combination. If loans are used, the train purchased must be the cheapest available (including any scrapped but not obsolete trains in the pool). If personal money is used, shares may be sold in sufficient numbers to raise needed capital (but no more). And, as always, you may not sell shares to dump the trainless company on someone else.

The only reason I bring up this one (and the bonus tokens) is that our players found the rules a bit confusing, especially the emergency fund raising ones. It might be helpful to update them with precise language regarding what's permitted, as the current wording implies that the President may -not- sell stock in order to raise funds.

Edward Uhler

May 26, 2013, 1:59:00 PM5/26/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
Pierre,

Any chance you can send the updated files for us too? I just posted a new thread about our play-test and did not understand that the rules are the updated part and not the actual map/tiles etc. We'd love to print out a new copy and get it playing, stat!

PS. How best to cut out the circular tokens? Thanks again!

-Edward

Chris Nasipak

May 26, 2013, 2:19:59 PM5/26/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com

On May 26, 2013, at 1:59 PM, Edward Uhler wrote:

> Pierre,
>
> Any chance you can send the updated files for us too? I just posted a new thread about our play-test and did not understand that the rules are the updated part and not the actual map/tiles etc. We'd love to print out a new copy and get it playing, stat!
>
> PS. How best to cut out the circular tokens? Thanks again!

I use a half-inch punch I got from the scrapbook section of my local art-hobby store.

> -Edward
>
> On Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:04:31 AM UTC-7, Richard Clyne wrote:
> I am thinking of playing 18NY this weekend, however the rules and components on the proto site do not seem to match up. Is there somewhere else I should be looking to play using v0.99?
>
> Richard

Chris Shaffer

May 26, 2013, 2:37:30 PM5/26/13
to dtg-proto
Get the 1/2" Paper Shaper PSP-02C, available in many online stores and hobby shops.

--
Chris

Pierre LeBoeuf

May 26, 2013, 10:22:01 PM5/26/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
Edward,

Thank you for your interest in 18NY.  Chris' clarifications were mostly correct, I will reply to your first letter in detail soon.

I hope to have a rules update soon, and I can send it to you directly, if you'd like.

Pierre LeBoeuf

Edward and Amanda Uhler

May 27, 2013, 1:00:08 PM5/27/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
We'd really love to have the files, please. There are a few of us that would love to print out a copy.

Thanks and looking forward to your response and to the files.

Regards,

Edward

Edward and Amanda Uhler

May 31, 2013, 3:58:44 PM5/31/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
Pierre,

Over at BGG, I keep a running geeklist of our plays and a small writeup of each one...one of the guys that I'm currently playing a play-by-forum game of 18MEX also is wanting the updated files.

By no means am I rushing or whatnot, but any idea on an ETA on when we can get a copy to print out and get playing again?

Thanks both for that and for making a really fun game, your fans,

Edward

cro...@rochester.rr.com

May 31, 2013, 5:19:41 PM5/31/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com, Edward and Amanda Uhler
*shrug* I didn't bother waiting, I just hand-made the extra two train cards and made the map changes with a sharpie.

Pierre LeBoeuf

May 31, 2013, 6:10:20 PM5/31/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully soon, but no idea as to when. I have sent you (and Chris Nasipak) the new rules in another email and I will do so to anyone else that wants them.

Pierre

Richard Clyne

Jun 1, 2013, 5:58:45 AM6/1/13
to dtg-...@googlegroups.com
Can I have a copy of the new rules as well please.
Thanks
Richard