Has datasciencetoolkit.org been taken offline?

Nathan Berendt

Apr 25, 2015, 2:04:07 PM4/25/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com
In querying the "street2coordinates" web service a timeout has consistently occurred over the past few days. To quickly problem solve I navigated to the parent website and noticed it appears to be offline. Has this site been permanently taken down or is it currently being upgraded or crashed? I wanted to leverage the instructions on spinning up an EC2 instance for geocoding a large set of addresses.

Pete Warden

Apr 27, 2015, 2:02:25 AM4/27/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I'd been hitting problems with very heavy API usage that was preventing OpenHeatMap (that uses the same backend) from running. In the past I've been able to spot and handle this with manual IP blocking when things got too crazy, and I generally encourage people to use the site until they see a slowdown in their responses, and then back off, but unfortunately this was a swarm of different IPs with very aggressive frequencies. My iptables rate-limiting skills weren't up to the task and I ended up having to take public access down for a bit.

I've had a chance to tweak the rules over the weekend, and so far the traffic seems under control, so hopefully you should have access again.

I'm not sure if I've mailed this out before, but since I created the DSTK the US Census has come out with a free bulk geocoder, it's pretty neat if you're only dealing with US addresses:

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Nathan Berendt <nber...@fusioncentralinc.com> wrote:
In querying the "street2coordinates" web service a timeout has consistently occurred over the past few days. To quickly problem solve I navigated to the parent website and noticed it appears to be offline. Has this site been permanently taken down or is it currently being upgraded or crashed? I wanted to leverage the instructions on spinning up an EC2 instance for geocoding a large set of addresses.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s). This email may contain confidential and/or proprietary information of Fusion Central, Inc., and is bound by all United States Privacy Acts. If you are not a named recipient, you are prohibited from reviewing, copying, using, disclosing or distributing to others the information in this email and attachments. If you believe you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts of the email or attachments.

Check out Jetpac City Guides iPhone app - Just launched!

CTO Jetpac
Follow me on twitter @petewarden

Nathan Berendt

Apr 27, 2015, 9:37:17 AM4/27/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com, pe...@jetpac.com
Greetings Sir,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to keep the system alive and well and sharing the tidbit about the US Census bulk geocoder. Take care, stay strong.