City name correction sends geocoder down rabbit hole

Wayne Seguin

May 31, 2015, 1:32:12 PM5/31/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com
I was noticing a high occurrence of Street numbers and names coming back different from input, and I think I have discovered why.

When a city name is misspelled, the geocoder seems to lose its mind. According to the return, it properly determined the city name (probably by the Zip), but the addresses are way off. Here are a bunch of examples:

2108 DOGWOOD PL, SPRNGDLE, AR 72762. Returned: 398 Spring Ln, Springdale, AR
2114 DEL REY DR, BLLHD CTY, AZ 86442. Returned: 1798 Taylor St, Bullhead City, AZ
2117 CHATEAU DR, LWRNCVLLE, GA 30043. Returned: 1899 Chad Ln, Lawrenceville, GA
2108 PLATT ST # B, SPRNGDLE, AR 72762. Returned: 398 Spring Ln, Springdale, AR
21225 HICKORY FLAT RD, SPRNGDLE, AR 72764. Returned: 599 Spring St, Springdale, AR
211 WILSON RD, SMTHVLLE, AR 72466. Returned: 240 Smithville Rd, Smithville, AR
213 VISTA HILLS DR, GRND JCT, CO 81503. Returned: 2701 Grant Ct, Grand Junction, CO

In all cases, if I correct the city name prior to geocoding, they return correctly geocoded.

Further, there also seems to be a propensity to use the misspelled city name as the street name (note Springdale Rd, Smithville Rd, Grant Ct, etc).

Thanks

Wayne