Address with a / fail (no geocoding returned ever)

Wayne Seguin

Feb 5, 2015, 2:28:16 PM2/5/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is a perfectly valid address:

1220 43 1/2 AVE NE, COLUMBIA HEIGHTS MN 55421

However, whenever there is a "/" anywhere in the address the geocoding doesn't work. Does it need to be escaped or url encoded or anything?

I know when I try to submit this address on the web page itself, it doesn't even submit (nothing happens).

Thanks

Wayne

Igor Menghini

Feb 27, 2015, 3:03:52 PM2/27/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wayne,
how are you submitting the data?
Through the API?  If so you need to url-encode the address sting ("1220+43+1%2F2+AVE+NE%2C+COLUMBIA+HEIGHTS+MN+55421")
If you're submitting via one of the language specific packages (R, Python, Ruby, etc.. ) might be that the fowardslash [ / ] is a special character in that language and needs escaping but it's hard to tell without more details.

Hope this helps..

Igor

Wayne Seguin

Mar 2, 2015, 12:00:39 PM3/2/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com
Neither the API nor the toolkit web site work properly.

When I don't url-encode, I get nothing back. If I DO url-encode (1220+43+1%2f2+AVE+NE%2c+COLUMBIA+HEIGHTS%2c+MN+55421), this address returned as "101 12th Ave NE, Minneapolis MN", entirely wrong.

When I use the website directly, it doesn't return anything either. So Im guessing the website implementation doesn't URL encode the submission either. Regardless though, I'm most concerned about the entirely incorrect return

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne Seguin

May 28, 2015, 10:04:32 AM5/28/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have any ideas here? URL-encoding doesn't help, replacing "/" with %2f doesn't help. I have no way to geocode an address with a "/" in it.

Thanks

Wayne

Sophia Parafina

May 28, 2015, 10:11:19 AM5/28/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Seguin
Works on the google style geocoder as-is without escaping or url encoding

--
Sophia Parafina
Sent with Airmail

Wayne Seguin

May 28, 2015, 1:06:46 PM5/28/15
to dstk-...@googlegroups.com, wse...@gmail.com
It returned a value, but didn't really work. Look at the address you are getting back...

3701 Co Hwy 1, Columbia Heights, MN. This is about 2.5 miles away from the input address of 1220 43 1/2 Ave NE, Columbia Heights, MN.