Geocoder not responding to postal code queries

Michael Fatica

Mar 24, 2017, 4:21:30 PM3/24/17
to dstk-users
Hi all,

The Google-style geocoder on http://www.datasciencetoolkit.org returns data for queries like "80202".  However, when spawning an AMI of the DSTK via Amazon and providing the same query, there are no results for postal-code queries.  Though there are results for full addresses in the same area.

Am I missing some sort of initialization step here?

Thanks!

Michael Fatica

Apr 17, 2017, 3:58:05 PM4/17/17
to dstk-users
Hi all,

I figured out what was going on here.  Turns out the twofishes geocoder was running out of memory on an AWS m3.medium.  I added 4GB of swap and rebooted and it worked.
It's worth mentioning that simply restarting the twofishes service was not sufficient, I needed to reboot the machine.  After that, postal code queries started working again.