Sustainability Post-Doctoral Scientist, Carbon

Jose A. Hernandez

Mar 27, 2022, 10:39:47 AM3/27/22
to DS...@listserv.uga.edu

Sustainability Post-Doctoral Scientist, Carbon

at Indigo (View all jobs)
Direct application link: https://boards.greenhouse.io/indigo/jobs/4050513
Boston OR Remote

We are an international AgTech startup pioneering an ambitious mission in a high-growth industry where agriculture meets technology to solve our toughest climate and economic challenges. Through the use of data-driven insights, natural microbiology, and innovative digital technologies, Indigo Ag is partnering across the supply chain, ultimately cultivating a scalable climate solution and enhanced partner ecosystem that beneficially serves farmers, consumers, and the planet alike.

Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too: from multigenerational farming professionals who understand the land as though it were an extension of themselves, to cutting-edge techies on the frontier of innovation, our teams are a reflection of the range of the stakeholders we serve: the Earth, the Farmer, and the Consumer.

The Team:

The Carbon Science & Modeling team connects cutting edge science and research with quantification methodologies at scale through deeply cross disciplinary work. We define the science requirements behind high-quality carbon credits, collaborate with scientists across academia, non-profit and industry, and work on world class data sets and experiments to advance the science around sustainability and agriculture. We are looking for an early-career scientist who is excited by the challenge of scaling scientific insights into global impact. This position is for a full time, fixed-term appointment with a duration of two years.

Responsibilities:

  • Lead and manage publication initiatives (peer-reviewed and technical white papers) and strategy for data incorporation and journal selection.
  • Support research collaborations with external scientists at universities and NGOs
  • Collaborate with field and data scientists and modelers to publish experimental findings from our multi-year, large-scale, Soil Carbon Experiment studying management practice impacts on soil carbon and other ecosystem services.
  • Share publication progress at team meetings and contribute in scientific discussions
  • Delve into different types of analyses to explore data sets and to make new discoveries and recommendations.
  • Contribute thoughtful, science-driven recommendations for business decisions using effective communication of findings (through synthesis and visualization of quantitative information).
  • Assist with experimentation and design where appropriate and necessary based on skill set.
  • Provide data results and findings to wider organization for use throughout the company and to external stakeholders

Competencies:

  • Strong communication skills along with robust technical writing skills; able to translate results from complex analyses into interpretable results, both visually and verbally, for publication in peer-reviewed journals and technical reports as well as lay audiences.
  • Solid foundation in statistics and experimental design
  • Strong collaboration proactive and self-directed
  • Thrive in a fast-paced, growth environment

Qualifications:

  • Recent Ph.D. in soil science, agricultural sciences, environmental science or a related discipline
  • Demonstrated record of scientific publication in scientific peer-review journals
  • Deep knowledge of soil sciences and biogeochemical modeling is a plus.
  • Knowledge of agronomy, agricultural ecosystems, and land management impacts on soil carbon with specific experience in row cropping systems and/or perennial agriculture.
  • Proficiency with at least one soil biogeochemical models and their processes (e.g. DayCent, DNDC, RothC, etc.)
  • Understanding of geospatial analysis, statistical analysis & modeling and software tools (proficiency in SQL, Python, R, and experience with version control preferred).

Benefits:

  • Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
  • Generous time off
  • Parental leave
  • A remote-first organization with flexible work hours
  • 401(k) plan

Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.