DSpace 6.3 Bitstream details table - help needed

kelley...@sil.org

May 31, 2024, 3:03:04 PMMay 31
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi all -

We are looking for the name of the table that contains bitstream details such as the filename & description.  The ERD shown on page 810 of the DSpace 6.x Documentation shows bitstream and bundle related tables in the pink section, but we do not find a table with the details we need. (The table named "bitstream" seems the logical location for this data, and I do see checksum there, but not the other basic information.)

Are we just missing it, or are all tables not shown there? Or perhaps not all the fields for each table are shown?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Kelley Canon
SIL International

DSpace Technical Support

Jun 7, 2024, 4:29:07 PMJun 7
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Kelley,

In DSpace 5.x and above. all metadata related to DSpace Objects (Bitstream, Bundle, Item, Collection, Community, etc) is stored in the "metadatavalue" table and linked to the appropriate object table via the "dspace_object_id" column.   This means that the name of the Bitstream is in the "dc.title" field value, and the description is in the "dc.description" field value.

In case they are useful, there are some older "Helper SQL functions" that someone created for DSpace 6 a long time ago: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSArchive/Helper+SQL+functions+for+DSpace+6

Tim

Kelley Canon

Jun 7, 2024, 5:37:17 PMJun 7
to DSpace Technical Support
Tiim -

Thanks for your reply.

Interesting. And a bit frustrating. It would be nice if this were mentioned in documentation, especially when there are other tables with "Bitstream" in the name that DO contain most of the information you'd want about bitstreams. bitstream_id, checksum, size, etc.

Water under the bridge I guess!

I do wonder, however, how do we distinguish bitstream data in the metadatavalue table - in dc.title - from true item titles

Kelley Canon
Language & Culture Archives - REAP Administrator
SIL International

mw...@iu.edu

Jun 10, 2024, 2:01:36 PMJun 10
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 07, 2024 at 09:36:37PM +0000, Kelley Canon wrote:
> You don't often get email from kelley...@sil.org. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
> Tiim -
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Interesting. And a bit frustrating. It would be nice if this were mentioned in documentation, especially when there are other tables with "Bitstream" in the name that DO contain most of the information you'd want about bitstreams. bitstream_id, checksum, size, etc.
>
> Water under the bridge I guess!
>
> I do wonder, however, how do we distinguish bitstream data in the metadatavalue table - in dc.title - from true item titles?

One way would be to join the metadatavalue and bitstream tables:

SELECT * FROM metadatavalue AS m JOIN bitstream AS b
ON m.dspace_object_id = b.uuid limit 1;

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
Indiana University Indianapolis
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
library.indianapolis.iu.edu
signature.asc

Kelley Canon

Jun 12, 2024, 5:31:12 PMJun 12
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Mark.

Kelley Canon
Generations will REAP what we sow!
Language & Culture Archives - REAP Administrator
SIL International

gianpierre luis calderon ñaccha

Jun 14, 2024, 1:15:03 PMJun 14
to Kelley Canon, dspac...@googlegroups.com
  Dear Kelly, the bistreams like you said are joined to the items throught bundles.
The relation is:

bitstreams---bundle----item
 between these relation are the intermidate table item2bundle and bundle2bitstreams.

The path of the file is saved in the field internal_id
and it saved in the folder that you installed
in the folder assetstore.
For example  the bitstream with internal_id as 164410876697102632819538106564350084233
is saved in dspace/assetstore/16/44/10/164410876697102632819538106564350084233

The bistreams also has metadata.
In this metadata you can find data as title,source and others.

Best Regard
Gianpierre Calderon, UNMSM, PERU