auto assign group to self registered users.

Shoun Paul

Nov 29, 2022, 7:20:53 AM11/29/22
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,
I have to make such settings that every new user that comes up through the self registration process is automatically added to a special group.

I have tried the solution with both lines of code one by one, and here "new" is my group name in the Dspace.
  authentication-password.login.specialgroup = new
  authentication.password.login.specialgroup = new

but, still I can't find new self user registrations in the respective group.
where I am doing wrong anyone could guide me on this issue.

Location: C:\dspace\config\modules
Files Name: authentication-password.cfg
Dspace version: 6.3
--
Best Regards.

Shoun Paul
Database & Software Application Associate
IT. Services Dept.
Forman Christian College
(A Chartered University)
Lahore, Pakistan.54600
Ext: 256
www.fccollege.edu.pk

Tim Donohue

Nov 29, 2022, 4:45:16 PM11/29/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi,

I suspect you might be misunderstanding how a "special group" works in DSpace.  When using that "specialgroup" setting, a user will be added to that group *only while logged in*.  So, they are a temporary member of that group _only for their logged in session_.  They will never appear in the Group as a real member, because special groups are used only during your authenticated session.

So, to test this is working, you'd want to simply login & verify that your "Profile" shows that you are a member of the "new" group (it should be in your list of all groups you are a member of).  However, if you browse to that "new" group as an Admin, you'll never see yourself listed there.

Hopefully this helps explain DSpace's behavior with regards to "special groups".

Tim

Shoun Paul

Nov 30, 2022, 2:46:45 AM11/30/22
to Tim Donohue, DSpace Technical Support
Greetings,
Thanks for this clarification. I want to ask if there is any way then by which if any user registers himself through self registration method, User will automatically assign a group as a permanent member of that group?

Tim Donohue

Nov 30, 2022, 3:41:49 PM11/30/22
to Shoun Paul, DSpace Technical Support
Hi,

The best way to achieve that would be to use the "authentication-password.login.specialgroup" setting you found.

Technically, with that setting in place anyone who can successfully login to your DSpace​ will be automatically added to the specified group each time they login.  So, anyone who logs in is like a "permanent" member of that group (as they will be a member each time they login).   But, as I mentioned they won't appear in that group when you list the members.

I'm not able to think of another way to do this in DSpace out-of-the-box.  But, maybe others will have ideas if they've found a way to achieve this through a custom script or similar.

Tim

to Tim Donohue, DSpace Technical Support
Greetings,
Yeah, I have searched on it and try a way to custom scripting, but for now go with the same special group settings and by this my purpose is fullfil just members could not list over there so, it's good to go for me.

Hey thanks 👍