File upload error on Dspace 7.4

Rupinder Singh

Nov 30, 2022, 6:47:53 AM11/30/22
to dspace-c...@googlegroups.com, dspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am struggling to get this software to work for the last 2 months, and still no success.
I did the Dspace 7.4 backend installation on my Ubuntu 22.04 computer, installed Solr from source, installed tomcat9 from the apt package manager, and compiled the DSpace code for the backend.
Everything is running under a dedicated 'DSpace' system user. It went well and I can access the backend HAL interface on localhost:8080/server.

Further, I went to install the frontend on the same machine, under the same user (i.e., dspace), and installed node js, yarn, and everything as mentioned in DSpace wiki, it also went well and I could see my DSpace 7 home screen for the first time. It was beautiful and I was happy, I logged in with my administrative users, and created some communities and collections. it is all working. BUT I CAN NOT UPLOAD ANY FILE, NOT EVEN THE COMMUNITY LOGO's.
I am so fed up with this software, Error logs are of no help. i thought it would be a permission issue, but my system user 'dspace' is the owner of both dspace backend folder, and also dspace-angular, tomcat9, Solr, and yarn both are running under 'dsapce' system user. still, I can't upload anything. I can't figure out what I did wrong, and where I'm missing something, and at this point, I'm too tired to re-install it again and again (like I've been doing for the last 2 months).

Seriously!!, please help, I need to get this working.

Thank You

Rupinder Singh

Mohammad S. AlMutairi

Nov 30, 2022, 7:06:23 AM11/30/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Which Operating System are you using?

Mohammad S. AlMutairi

Nov 30, 2022, 7:19:11 AM11/30/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Never mind: You need to find the tomcat systemd unit file (tomcat9.service) if you install the default Ubuntu tomcat package and make sure tomcat user you see in the unit file has write permission over the DSpace folder and need to tell tomcat it can write into DSpace folder as you see it highlted in red.

[Service]

# Configuration
Environment="CATALINA_HOME=/usr/share/tomcat9"
Environment="CATALINA_BASE=/var/lib/tomcat9"
Environment="CATALINA_TMPDIR=/tmp"
Environment="JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"

# Lifecycle
Type=simple
ExecStartPre=+/usr/libexec/tomcat9/tomcat-update-policy.sh
ExecStart=/bin/sh /usr/libexec/tomcat9/tomcat-start.sh
SuccessExitStatus=143
Restart=on-abort

# Logging
SyslogIdentifier=tomcat9

# Security
User=tomcat
Group=tomcat
PrivateTmp=yes
AmbientCapabilities=CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
NoNewPrivileges=true
CacheDirectory=tomcat9
CacheDirectoryMode=750
ProtectSystem=strict
ReadWritePaths=/etc/tomcat9/Catalina/
ReadWritePaths=/var/lib/tomcat9/webapps/
ReadWritePaths=/var/log/tomcat9/
ReadWritePaths=/opt/dspace

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Rupinder Singh

Nov 30, 2022, 8:09:04 AM11/30/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Wonderful my friend.
You are one great soul on earth. It worked like a charm.
I was so desperate to see my installation working, and with this error, I was feeling helpless.  Even the error logs didn't show any detail.
But you gave the precise solution for my issue.
Thank You so much.

Rupinder Singh

Message has been deleted

Mohammad S. AlMutairi

Nov 30, 2022, 8:13:57 AM11/30/22
to DSpace Technical Support
You are most welcome. Very happy for you got it working.