slowness when entering issn during submisison

Jose Blanco

Nov 18, 2020, 2:19:13 PM11/18/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Using a drop down list for the user to enter different identifier types, when the user selects issn, and then  goes on to the file upload step, the system seems to process the just entered data before the upload page shows up, and it takes a few minutes for the upload page to show up.  The data entered by the user looks fine and after the deposit finishes it shows up fine.  But what is making it take so long when the user enters the issn.  With any other identifier or metadata the upload page comes up quickly.  I have a feeling it has something to do with the solr indexing, or some other cofig setting that is causing this.

These are the last two lines in the log file:

2020-11-18 13:27:39,626 INFO  org.dspace.content.Item @ bla...@umich.edu:session_id=6FB1267F6BAB544CB1A7D35CCA919A53:update_item:item_id=2c4f738f-7381-4e97-9f06-1f5b6715800a

2020-11-18 13:27:39,647 INFO  org.dspace.discovery.SolrServiceImpl @ Removed Item: TEMP-BOGUS/347222 from Index

This is my setting in the input-forms.xml:

   <value-pairs value-pairs-name="common_identifiers" dc-term="identifier">

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>ISSN</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>issn</stored-value>

     </pair>

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>PMID</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>pmid</stored-value>

     </pair>

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>DOI</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>doi</stored-value>

     </pair>

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>ORCID iD</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>orcid</stored-value>

     </pair>

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>ISMN</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>ismn</stored-value>

     </pair>

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>Gov't Doc #</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>govdoc</stored-value>

     </pair>

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>URI</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>uri</stored-value>

     </pair>

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>ISBN</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>isbn</stored-value>

     </pair>

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>OCLC</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>oclc</stored-value>

     </pair>

     <pair>

       <displayed-value>Other</displayed-value>

       <stored-value>other</stored-value>

     </pair>

   </value-pairs>

Thank you!
-Jose

Franziska Rapp

Nov 19, 2020, 2:06:29 AM11/19/20
to dspac...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jose,

Are you using the Sherpa Romeo API and this particular metadata field to retrieve information from the Sherpa/Romeo database? The API's old version is no longer available. We also had problems with our upload page. We deactivated the Sherpa Romeo API in dspace.cfg and that solved our problem.

Best regards
Franziska

Franziska Rapp
Communication and Information Center (kiz)
Ulm University

Jose Blanco

Nov 19, 2020, 10:44:18 AM11/19/20
to Franziska Rapp, DSpace Technical Support
Franziska,  Thank you!  That did it!

-Jose

Oliver Goldschmidt

Nov 23, 2020, 5:23:18 AM11/23/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Franziska and Jose,

a few months ago The Library Code has upgraded SHERPA/RoMEO to the new API for us. As we are working on DSpace CRIS 5.10 (and thus with JSPUI) I cannot guarantee, that the implementation is also working on XMLUI or on DSpace 6, but I just wanted to point you to that development, as it might be interesting for you.

The PR from The Library Code is here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2773. The ticket with the original problem of API version 1 being discontinued is here: https://jira.lyrasis.org/browse/DS-3940. And the branch from The Library Code with the developments for us is here: https://github.com/the-library-code/DSpace/tree/DS-3940_SHERPA_v2_API

The Library Code is currently working on porting this development to DSpace 7 as well. I guess that's the branch for this: https://github.com/the-library-code/DSpace/tree/DS-3940_SHERPA_v2_API_master.

Best
Oliver