Problem importing SAF package: defined by the key 'org.dspace.app.batchitemimport.work.dir' in dspace.cfg is not a valid directory

RICARDO EITO BRUN

Jun 19, 2024, 7:20:22 AM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,
I am trying to execute a batch SAF import both from the user interface and the command line, and I am getting this error:

"...defined by the key 'org.dspace.app.batchitemimport.work.dir' in dspace.cfg is not a valid directory"

I have seen the same problem reported by other colleagues.

One point: I am making some tests in a Windows machine, so I understand this may be the reason for the problem.

Any info is welcome,

Ricardo

--
RICARDO EITO BRUN
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid

DSpace Technical Support

Jun 25, 2024, 5:25:32 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Ricardo,

Before performing an Import, DSpace will attempt to create the directory defined by the "org.dspace.app.batchitemimport.work.dir" configuration, which is in your dspace.cfg and defaults to "${dspace.dir}/imports": https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/main/dspace/config/dspace.cfg#L904

If DSpace is unable to create that directory (or the directory just doesn't exist), then it will throw that error which says:
"[full-directory-path] as defined by key 'org.dspace.app.batchitemimport.work.dir' in dspace.cfg is not a valid directory"

So, the first step to solving this issue is to make sure that directory *exists* on your system, or verify that the Tomcat user has permissions to create this directory (if they do not, then DSpace cannot create this on your behalf).

If that doesn't help, then we may need more information about your setup (especially the version of DSpace you are running).  It is possible that you are also encountering a bug in an older release.

Tim

RICARDO EITO BRUN

Jun 25, 2024, 5:57:14 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to DSpace Technical Support
Thanks Tim,
problem was due to a wrong byte in the contents file. Now it is working fine,
wbr,
Ricardo