DSpace 7.6.1: installation trouble

Andrea Silvestri

Jun 17, 2024, 10:21:32 AM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi,

I'm having trouble installing DSpace 7.6.1.
When I start Tomcat "server" the web application deployment gives many errors starting from an "Error starting child".
I have:
- Ubuntu 22.04
- Tomcat 9.0.58.0
- Apache 2.4.52
- Openjdk version "17.0.11"
- Maven 3.6.3
- Ant(TM) version 1.10.12

I can see many exceptions in tomcat logs and configuring DSpace logs with level "DEBUG" I can see these errors:
1) ERROR unknown unknown org.dspace.statistics.SolrLoggerServiceImpl @ java.lang.IllegalStateException: The required 'dbfile' configuration is missing in usage-statistics.cfg!
(I found this issue was fixed in version 7.5 but I have it with 7.6.1 version)

2) ERROR unknown unknown org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication @ Application run failed
And after this error I can see many exceptions like this:
org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'authenticationRestController': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through field 'converter'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'converterService': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through field 'converters'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'workflowItemConverter' defined in file [/opt/dspace-7/webapps/server/WEB-INF/classes/org/dspace/app/rest/converter/WorkflowItemConverter.class]: Instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [org.dspace.app.rest.converter.WorkflowItemConverter]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "org.dspace.submit.factory.SubmissionServiceFactory.getSubmissionConfigService()" because the return value of "org.dspace.submit.factory.SubmissionServiceFactory.getInstance()" is null

These exceptions are all related to "SubmissionServiceFactory" and functions returning null: getSubmissionConfigService, getInstance, etc.)

I have followed the wiki's instructions but cannot have the server deployment working.

Best regards,
Andrea

DSpace Technical Support

Jun 25, 2024, 4:42:03 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Andrea,

The error you described sounds like it might be this one: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/issues/9217

Simply put, in 7.6.1 (and some earlier versions of 7.x), you'd see these strange errors if you attempted to startup the DSpace backend (server webapp) while Solr was *down* (or unavailable/unresponsive).  The fix/workaround was to simply start Solr *before* the DSpace backend.

As of 8.0 (and the upcoming 7.6.2) release, we have fixed this issue and the DSpace backend can now start successfully even if Solr is unavailable.

Tim

Andrea Silvestri

Jun 27, 2024, 2:20:27 AM (3 days ago) Jun 27
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Tim,

thank for your answer. I saw this github issue, but I have my solr up and running.
I can also connect to the Solr Admin UI and see it's running; maybe it's not configured correctly, I'll check it.

With the recently release of DSpace 8.0 I'm trying to do a clean install of the latest release.

Thanks again,
Andrea

Tukur Sulaiman

Jun 28, 2024, 10:31:26 AM (yesterday) Jun 28
to Andrea Silvestri, DSpace Technical Support
I 'm having trouble installing DSpace Server with my system which is having 120GB with 2GB of RAM. The system just stopped after installing  openjdk version 17.0.11 and apache tomcat 9.0. Please, what are the requirements to build a dspace server?
thank you

Steve Michaels

Jun 28, 2024, 11:19:10 AM (yesterday) Jun 28
to DSpace Technical Support
I had this same question a while back.  I finally found the system requirements at: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Performance+Tuning+DSpace.

Our system, which has quite a bit of stuff but not a lot of traffic has 12GB of RAM + a 4GB swap space.