index-discovery failed

Alexis Febre

Jun 18, 2024, 8:42:44 AM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to DSpace Technical Support
Good morning DSpace team,

I'm having problems with index-discovery after upgrading from DSpace version 6.3 to 7.6.1.

First, I run dspace database migrate ignored without problems.

Then I run index-discovery -b but it gives me the following error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.dspace.discovery.SolrServiceFileInfoPlugin.additionalIndex(SolrServiceFileInfoPlugin.java:55)
at org.dspace.discovery.indexobject.IndexFactoryImpl.buildDocument(IndexFactoryImpl.java:67)
at org.dspace.discovery.indexobject.DSpaceObjectIndexFactoryImpl.buildDocument(DSpaceObjectIndexFactoryImpl.java:30)
at org.dspace.discovery.indexobject.ItemIndexFactoryImpl.buildDocument(ItemIndexFactoryImpl.java:146)
at org.dspace.discovery.indexobject.ItemIndexFactoryImpl.buildDocument(ItemIndexFactoryImpl.java:81)
at org.dspace.discovery.SolrServiceImpl.update(SolrServiceImpl.java:169)
at org.dspace.discovery.SolrServiceImpl.indexContent(SolrServiceImpl.java:159)
at org.dspace.discovery.SolrServiceImpl.updateIndex(SolrServiceImpl.java:349)
at org.dspace.discovery.SolrServiceImpl.updateIndex(SolrServiceImpl.java:336)
at org.dspace.discovery.SolrServiceImpl.createIndex(SolrServiceImpl.java:304)
at org.dspace.discovery.IndexClient.internalRun(IndexClient.java:117)
at org.dspace.scripts.DSpaceRunnable.run(DSpaceRunnable.java:150)
at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.executeScript(ScriptLauncher.java:154)
at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.handleScript(ScriptLauncher.java:132)
at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.main(ScriptLauncher.java:99)

At the moment, I have not found any solution.

If you have any solution, welcome.

Greetings and thanks!

Alexis

DSpace Technical Support

Jun 25, 2024, 5:07:26 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Alexis,

If you are still encountering this issue, then we may need more information.  Are there any other error messages that occur *before* that error in your logs?  Essentially, could you share more of the logs?

The error you shared isn't clear to me, but it almost looks like the indexing process is encountering bad data (it seems to be claiming that it is encountering a Bitstream which is thinks should exist, but is "null" instead).  So, you also may want to verify that the "dspace database migrate ignored" command didn't log any errors in the dspace.log file.

I'm not sure if that will help, but this error does seem confusing to me.  So, any more information you can share might help us to narrow down the cause.

Tim

Hill,Ed

Jun 25, 2024, 6:23:27 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Alexis,

I believe we ran into a similar issue, and it had to do with an item we had that had some corrupted data (we have no idea how it got in the state it was in). We initially turned off the plugin by commenting out the bean in config/spring/api/discovery.xml and were able to run a successful indexing.

Later on I took a look and implemented a fix in dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/discovery/SolrServiceFileInfoPlugin.java. Basically, the fix just wraps everything inside the final "for (Bitstream bitstream : bitstreams)" block in a null check, "(if bitstream != null)" with some logging if it did equal null. I haven't yet submitted a pull request to include this check in the repo but I provide the outline here in case you want to implement a similar fix.

Happy to discuss more if I can be of more help.

Ed Hill

Pronouns: He/Him  (pronoun statement

Developer and Systems Administrator

(970) 491-3197