Dspace 7: Help in customizing DSpace New Item Form

Seun Adewoye

Apr 30, 2022, 6:18:10 PM4/30/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Please I need help in adding a dropdown field in the New Item form called “Resource Type”. This field will be placed at the top near the “Collection” dropdown field. The following options will be shown in Resource Type dropdown
• Exam Papers
• Dissertation and Thesis
• Journal Article
• Awards & Recognition (Accolades)

Each of the resource type dropdown option will load a unique form.

For example when submitter selects “Exam Paper” option, exam paper form fields load

• Module Title* (Normal Entry Text)
• Day (Dropdown) (Options are Monday to Sunday)
• Date* (Date Field) (YYYY MM DD)
• Time (Duration) (Normal Entry Text)
• Total Pages (Normal Entry Text)
• School* (Dropdown)
• Degree Name* (Normal Entry Text)

Seun Adewoye

May 6, 2022, 3:33:48 PM5/6/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Can any please help with this or recommend a paid service.

Thank you.

darryl....@usask.ca

May 6, 2022, 5:14:21 PM5/6/22
to DSpace Technical Support
The documentation for configuring the submission forms in DSpace 7.x can be found here: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Submission+User+Interface

If I read them correctly, the submission system does not work the way you want it to.  You can define multiple different submission forms, but they can't be triggered based on the selected value of a dropdown.  Instead, each form is linked to a specific collection.  So if you had, for example, a collection to hold "Exam Papers" or "Dissertations and Theses", then when a person chose to submit to one of those collections, they would be presented with the appropriate submission form.  This is exactly what we do.  We have one default submission form for all DSpace submissions, and one specific to our Thesis collection, so when people submit a thesis they get fields customized for ETDs (degree name, program, etc).

It appears DSpace 7 also introduced the concept of Configurable Entities -- see: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Configurable+Entities -- which sound more like what you might be looking for.  I have absolutely no experience with enties though, so it's possible they won't help you achieve what you want.

- Darryl

Seun Adewoye

May 7, 2022, 4:37:16 AM5/7/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the solution you proffered. I will work through this and revert if I have any other questions.

Marie-Hélène Vézina - UdeM

May 11, 2022, 11:35:44 AM5/11/22
to DSpace Technical Support
The "type-bind" functionnality is on it's way : https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/1529

Seun Adewoye

May 17, 2022, 12:16:47 PM5/17/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Thank you vezi. I am eagerly awaiting this features. Thank you.