DSpace 7.3 migration trouble

Ed Hill

Oct 10, 2022, 5:06:25 PM10/10/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Apologies, my fingers outpaced my reading and I sent this to the general list before reading the banner suggesting these kinds of questions come here.

We're having some trouble testing out DSpace 7.3 coming from 6.2, specifically the database migrations. We seemed to run into the same issue referenced at https://groups.google.com/g/dspace-tech/c/N24obvE1mVQ and https://groups.google.com/g/dspace-tech/c/enhTBvnQm68/m/WnEgFm2-AwAJ and were able to remove that specific migration, but then the next migration, V5_7_2017_05_05__DS_3431_Add_Policies_for_BasicWorkflow, threw errors referencing "Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: operator does not exist: integer = uuid".

I'm attaching the output of our ./dspace database info below, but it shows that prior to our upgrade attempt the last successful migration was 6.1.2017.01.03 in 2017, and 4.9.2015.10.26, 5.0.2014.11.04, 5.7.2017.05.05, and 6.0.2015.09.01 had been Ignored.

I have a theory, and if anybody can tell me if it seems to be on the right track (or way off), what else we should be looking at, or anything else I would be very grateful. the 5.7.2017.05.05 migration that is failing is to Add Policies for BasicWorkflow, and one of the migrations that had been skipped (but ran successful as an Out of Order migration as we tried to update) was 5.0.2014.11.04, Enable XMLWorkflow Migration. Combined with the error returned about types not matching, it seems possible we did not run the 5.0.2014.11.04 migration and have since ingested a lot of data into our database with a field of type int when it should have been changed to type uuid. Now, since the migrations have been ignored for a mighty long time, it's causing this trouble when trying to upgrade.

If anybody has any input or suggestions, or ideas for more data or other places to look that might be helpful, we would be most appreciative.

Ed Hill
Developer and Applications Administrator
Colorado State University Libraries
dspace database info.txt

Tim Donohue

Oct 11, 2022, 11:57:45 AM10/11/22
to Ed Hill, DSpace Technical Support
Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear you've hit some issues in the migration.

It looks to me like the "V5_7_2017_05_05__DS_3431_Add_Policies_for_BasicWorkflow" migration is erroring out simply because it wasn't run before you upgraded to 6.x (as the integer to UUID change occurred between 5.x -> 6.x).

That said, the good news​ is that this particular migration is no longer valid in 7.x, as the "Basic Workflow" system has been entirely removed (in favor of the configurable/xml-based workflow).   So, the solution here would be to trick Flyway into skipping that migration, similar to what I described here: https://groups.google.com/g/dspace-tech/c/enhTBvnQm68/m/WnEgFm2-AwAJ

I suspect the core issue here is that this "V5.7" migration should have been triggered initially during your 5.x -> 6.x upgrade by running "dspace database migrate ignored" at the time.  But, luckily, it's now an entirely obsolete migration.

Hopefully this solves things for you.  As always, I highly recommend testing this approach before doing anything in production, just to ensure there are no side effects (doubtful, but always possible).

Tim