500 Hal Browser error

Tianyi Gu

Feb 25, 2022, 3:32:37 PM2/25/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi everyone, and @Tim,

Have done debug settings. HAL browser looks fine, but errors in Tomcat files.
DSpace log file has nothing for today.

Tomcat9 - stderr. file :

[Fatal Error] log4j2.xml:12:10: The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or markup.
Warning at xsl:stylesheet on line 14 column 35
  Unrecognized version 1.1: treated as 1.0

Tomcat
localhost_access_log.2022-02-25

0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 - - [25/Feb/2022:14:47:17 -0500] "GET /server/api/core/communities HTTP/1.1" 500 15041

I also read the Common Installation Issues for hints on debugging or fixing that 500 error: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-%22500ServiceUnavailable%22fromtheUserInterface

Please suggest.

Thank you,
Tianyi

Tim Donohue

Feb 28, 2022, 10:55:20 AM2/28/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Tianyi,

Have you modified the DSpace "log4j2.xml" configuration file in some manner?  From the limited information you've provided, it sounds like Tomcat is telling you that the log4j2.xml is somehow "invalid": https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-7.2/dspace/config/log4j2.xml

You should double check that somehow you didn't modify this file in some manner, as the default "log4j2.xml" is a valid configuration. You could even try rebuilding the DSpace backend to see if somehow your previous build didn't work properly  ("mvn -U clean package" followed by "ant update").

Also, make sure to check for other ERROR or FATAL lines in the Tomcat, DSpace or PostgreSQL log files.  It sounds like something odd has happened in either your installation or configuration.  It's difficult to say for certain what is going on, as I've never heard of an invalid "log4j2.xml" failure in DSpace 7.  So, it makes me suspect that your install somehow failed silently, or exited prematurely.

Here's our guide for finding error messages in DSpace 7, in case you haven't already seen it: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Troubleshoot+an+error#Troubleshootanerror-DSpace7.x(orabove)

If you find more information or clues, feel free to send them to this list and we'll do our best to help.

Tim