DSpace 6.x branch, Docker build, custom modifications not taking effect

Manex Agirre

Jul 15, 2020, 11:46:58 AM7/15/20
to DSpace Developers
Hi to all,

we are useing DSpace6.x branch with docker: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6_x/dspace/src/main/docker-compose/README.md

We are trying to build custom Authority Controler following this documentation: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Authority+Control+of+Metadata+Values#AuthorityControlofMetadataValues-UserInterface. After some days with "classNotFound", "no plugin defined for local.xxx.yyy" we try modifying the SampleAuthority plugin directly and we realize that our modifications are not taking effect. We change de options array (is hardcoded inside SampleAuthority plugin) and after build the options still are the same.

We try to add our custom Authority controller in 'additions' module and also inside dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/content/authority/ folder directly.

We use this command to build docker image like in docs says:

docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose-cli.yml build

and then rebuild the container:

docker-compose -p d6 up -d

The new image is created and the container with that image, but it seems is ignoring our custom code and always uses the original docker image code?

Has something similar happened to someone? What we are doing wrong?

Regards,

Manex

Hendrik Geßner

Jul 16, 2020, 5:12:08 AM7/16/20
to DSpace Developers
Hi Manex,

I tried to reproduce your problem, but my changes are updated. I took the following steps:

Clone a fresh DSpace copy and checkout branch dspace-6_x

With default code (branch dspace-6_x)
docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose-cli.yml build

Run containers (leaving out the detached mode for log messages)
docker-compose -p d6 up

Change welcome text (line 6) in DSpace/dspace/config/news-xmlui.xml (not shown) and run build step again
docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose-cli.yml build
You can see that docker updates the image because the COPY and build steps are executed again (not cached)

Run containers again
docker-compose -p d6 up
Open start page (localhost:8080/xmlui), the changed message appears

Did you take the same steps?

Kind regards,
Hendrik Geßner

Manex Agirre

Jul 16, 2020, 8:55:10 AM7/16/20
to DSpace Developers
Hi Hendrik,

i followed your steps and it works, so i continue modifying the Sample Authority control in this 'fresh' install and, also it works! my changes are applied correctly. Its my docker configuration mistake with the volumes....

Thanks for the reply and for taking me on the right way.

Regards,

Manex

2020(e)ko uztailakren 16(a), osteguna (11:12:08 (UTC+2)); hen...@gmail.com erabiltzaileak hau idatzi zuen: