Who uses Oracle with DSpace? Anyone interested in helping retain/maintain Oracle support?

Tim Donohue

Nov 17, 2021, 6:25:49 PM11/17/21
to DSpace Developers
All,

I'm curious who on this developer list may use an Oracle database for their Production installation of DSpace.

I've been noticing that it has become more difficult to locate any DSpace developers with decent Oracle experience to help us debug or fix Oracle-related issues (e.g. https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/issues/8008 and https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/issues/7958 and testing PR https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/8028).

So, if you are using Oracle in Production, and would be interested in helping review, debug or test Orace related fixes/issues, please get in touch.

If we are unable to find Oracle developer help soon, I feel we must consider recommending (to DSpace Steering) that we stop support for Oracle databases (effective immediately) It's increasingly obvious that most DSpace sites do not use Oracle.  It's also obvious that we've not been successful in testing/stabilizing DSpace upgrades or new features on Oracle backends.  Plus, as we all know, Oracle databases have never aligned with our open-source licensing (in that it requires a paid license to use in Production).  So, it may be time to admit that Oracle support may no longer be necessary or reasonable for DSpace.

Thoughts welcome! Please do get in touch if continued Oracle support is of interest to you.

Tim

--

Tim Donohue

Technical Lead, DSpace

tim.d...@lyrasis.org

Lyrasis.org | DSpace.org

Tim Donohue

Mar 16, 2022, 3:01:14 PM3/16/22
to DSpace Developers
All,

Per this thread from November 2021...

As of today, the DSpace Steering group has voted to deprecate Oracle support in the upcoming DSpace 7.3 release. Oracle Support will be removed from DSpace one year later (in mid-2023).

More details can be found in this new Oracle deprecation ticket: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/issues/8214

If anyone has any questions,  let us know, or add your questions to that ticket.

Thanks,

Tim Donohue