Who has plugins/integrations that use SWORDv2 to interact with DSpace?

Tim Donohue

Mar 8, 2022, 1:57:33 PM3/8/22
to DSpace Developers
DSpace Developers,

I'm looking for feedback on who is actively using SWORDv2 to interact with DSpace.

As you may or may not be aware, unfortunately the SWORDv2 Java Library (https://github.com/swordapp/JavaServer2.0) has been unmaintained for 9 years.  This library is depended on by DSpace for our SWORDv2 support.

Recently, we've discovered that this SWORDv2 Java Library is incompatible​ with Apache Solr 8.10.0 (or above), as the SWORDv2 Java Library relies on obsolete dependencies (namely the abandoned Apache Abdera project).  This unfortunately means that, as soon as DSpace updates to Apache Solr 8.10.0 (or above), we will break our SWORDv2 module.  If you'd like all the technical details, see this ticket: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/issues/8188

While no decision has been made, it seems we may have only two options.... fork & fix that old SWORDv2 Java Library or abandon SWORDv2 support in the nearish future.

So, I'm currently looking for feedback on who knows of integrations that are heavily reliant on SWORDv2.  I've heard some rumors that some publishers may be still using SWORDv2 to send content to DSpace.  But I'm looking for verification on who is actively using / aware of SWORDv2 usage with any recent version (5.x, 6.x or 7.x) of DSpace.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Tim

--

Tim Donohue

Technical Lead, DSpace

tim.d...@lyrasis.org

Lyrasis.org | DSpace.org

Andrea Schweer

Mar 8, 2022, 3:55:11 PM3/8/22
to Tim Donohue, DSpace Developers
Hi Tim, all,

the Symplectic Elements Repository Tools 2 connector uses Sword v2 in addition to the REST API and OAI-PMH when run in "full integration" (bidirectional) mode. So I imagine that will be used by quite a few folks in the UK and AUS/NZ at the very least. At this point, Repository Tools 2 doesn't support DSpace 7, but I imagine that will be on the roadmap.

image.png

image.png

cheers,
Andrea

Dr Andrea Schweer (she/her)
Research Technologies Manager
Information Technology Services
University of Waikato  |  Private Bag 3105
Kirikiriroa Hamilton 3240  |  Aotearoa New Zealand
University of Waikato
Please note that my work week is Tuesday to Friday.

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only, unless otherwise stated.

Tim Donohue

Mar 8, 2022, 4:06:00 PM3/8/22
to Andrea Schweer, DSpace Developers
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the details on Symplectic Elements Repository Tools 2.  I had been hearing that Symplectic Elements may be our primary "user" of SWORDv2 from others as well.

Somewhat interesting that they don't yet support DSpace 7...as that implies to me maybe they are re-tooling their "Repository Tools 2" for DSpace 7?   If so, I'd like to figure out what their plans are for DSpace 7.

Simply put, regarding SWORDv2, DSpace 6 and below will continue to work perfectly fine.

It's only on DSpace 7 that the SWORDv2 module is going to eventually "break" (as soon as we next upgrade Solr -- but currently on DSpace 7.2 it still works fine).  So, if Symplectic is planning on using something else​ for DSpace 7 integration, that'd be interesting to hear more about.

If anyone has contacts at Symplectic or works at​ Symplectic, I'd be very interested to learn more about their plans for DSpace 7 integration.

Tim

Mar 8, 2022, 6:12:34 PM3/8/22
to Tim Donohue, DSpace Developers
Hi Tim

I know that Archivematica supports integrating with DSpace 5 via SWORD 2.

See:

Don't know how much that's used though, I suspect not very much because the integration is tailored to the developer's needs.

Best, Hrafn