DSpace 6: service hooks?

Sharbel Lutfallah

Jun 1, 2020, 12:25:48 PM6/1/20
to DSpace Developers
Hi there, are there any concepts of service hooks in DSpace 6 where we could write custom code to extend base logic for certain events?  Our use case is quite simple, when a user performs a CRUD operation on any item in the repository, we want to trigger a REST call to an external API.  I have looked at the documentation, and I do see references to custom plugins, but I am having a heck of a time finding any meaningful tutorials or documentation on how to actually create / implement a plugin.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Mark H. Wood

Jun 2, 2020, 8:00:18 AM6/2/20
to DSpace Developers
For your purpose (being informed of changes to the model), you may
find the event bus more useful. There's not much documentation on
event listeners, but a quick scan found this:

https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC6x/DSpace+Services+Framework#DSpaceServicesFramework-EventService

Looking into dspace-api:src/main/java/org/dspace/event may be enough
to get you started. If not, you'll have more specific questions and
we'll try to answer them.

Don't get confused between Event and UsageEvent. The latter are fired
when users view objects (like downloading a Bitstream, or being
presented with the page for a specific Item).

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library