We need more-robust XML parsing

Mark H. Wood

Jul 6, 2021, 12:18:24 PM7/6/21
to dspace...@googlegroups.com
Could we please do something about our rickety hand-built treeparsers
such as we see in

https://groups.google.com/g/dspace-tech/c/9ebzXGnb83s

I'd be happy to write any XML Schema definitions that we need.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu
signature.asc

Tim Donohue

Jul 12, 2021, 12:41:49 PM7/12/21
to Mark H. Wood, dspace...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Just adding a quick note to say that I'd agree it'd be an improvement to avoid hand-built parsers, and instead use schemas + JAXB (which I'm assuming is what you are recommending, similar to https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/3157).  So, I'd approve of that sort of enhancement to the code.

So, if you or anyone else is interested in helping make this happen....and perhaps start a new "best practice" for dealing with XML parsing (and correcting old code to use that best practice), I'd welcome that help.

Tim