File upload error on Dspace 7.4

Rupinder Singh

Nov 30, 2022, 6:47:52 AM11/30/22
to dspace-c...@googlegroups.com, dspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am struggling to get this software to work for the last 2 months, and still no success.
I did the Dspace 7.4 backend installation on my Ubuntu 22.04 computer, installed Solr from source, installed tomcat9 from the apt package manager, and compiled the DSpace code for the backend.
Everything is running under a dedicated 'DSpace' system user. It went well and I can access the backend HAL interface on localhost:8080/server.

Further, I went to install the frontend on the same machine, under the same user (i.e., dspace), and installed node js, yarn, and everything as mentioned in DSpace wiki, it also went well and I could see my DSpace 7 home screen for the first time. It was beautiful and I was happy, I logged in with my administrative users, and created some communities and collections. it is all working. BUT I CAN NOT UPLOAD ANY FILE, NOT EVEN THE COMMUNITY LOGO's.
I am so fed up with this software, Error logs are of no help. i thought it would be a permission issue, but my system user 'dspace' is the owner of both dspace backend folder, and also dspace-angular, tomcat9, Solr, and yarn both are running under 'dsapce' system user. still, I can't upload anything. I can't figure out what I did wrong, and where I'm missing something, and at this point, I'm too tired to re-install it again and again (like I've been doing for the last 2 months).

Seriously!!, please help, I need to get this working.

Thank You

Rupinder Singh

Tim Donohue

Dec 9, 2022, 2:19:14 PM12/9/22
to DSpace Community
Hi Rupinder,

Sorry to hear of the frustrations.  Have you seen our Troubleshoot an error guide?  Part of the complexity with finding error messages in DSpace 7 is that some errors *only appear in a user's browser* (and never in logs), simply because the UI only runs in the user's browser.  So, it's possible you are hitting UI level errors, in which case nothing will be logged on the backend.  The Troubleshoot an error guide helps guide you through finding those errors in the UI.

https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Troubleshoot+an+error#Troubleshootanerror-DSpace7.x(orabove)

Tim