Is it possible to add an uniform header to PDFs

SUGITA Shigeki

Jan 14, 2021, 10:09:36 PM1/14/21
to dspace-c...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

Kyoto University repository has been adding a cover pages to PDF documents.

https://repository.kulib.kyoto-u.ac.jp/

In addition to that, we'd like to add an uniform header to each PDF page if technically possible.
For example, PDFs of PMC Full text have ivory headers as "NIH Public Access. Author Manuscript. (metadata of the atticle here)" with NIH logo. See an example below.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24639061/
(follow the link to full text and choose PDF.)

I don't know whether they are pre-embedded or added just on retrieved in the NIH case.
However, having a considerable amount of already-existing items in our repository, I hope there is a feasible technical method which can do it on-demand.

Could anyone please let me know if there is a DSpace instance which has such a feature, or technical possibility of realizing it?

Thank you.
Regards,
--
Shigeki Sugita <sugita....@gmail.com>
Kyoto University Library, Japan

SUGITA Shigeki

Apr 12, 2022, 10:43:29 PM4/12/22
to dspace-c...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

Kyoto University repository now adds repository-specific headers on-the-fly to all PDF pages like as the sample image attached.

See an example: https://repository.kulib.kyoto-u.ac.jp/dspace/handle/2433/123371

We are willing to make the source code open and share it with you if anyone is interested.
We'd like to contact dspace-tech later.

Thank you.

Regards,
--
Shigeki Sugita <sugita....@gmail.com>
Kyoto University Library, Japan

sampleimage.png

Pranav Vichare

Nov 17, 2022, 1:29:52 PM11/17/22
to DSpace Community
Dear ssugita,

I am writing to you from the University of Oklahoma Libraries, where we are investigating the possibility of implementing cover pages for all items in our DSpace institutional repository.

  1. Have you encountered any issues with Google Scholar indexing because of the cover pages? / If you communicated with Google Scholar directly about your cover pages, did you receive any guidance on fields to use/avoid and/or formatting?
  2. Are you using the PDF Citation Cover Page feature in DSpace? If not, are you using another tool/software to automate the generation of the cover page?

              a.    If you have developed your own tool, would it be possible to share that source code?

      3.  Which version of DSpace are you currently using?

            a.    If v5 or v6, have you encountered challenges implementing the cover page?

            b.    If v7, did you encounter any issues with cover page integration when migrating from v6 to v7?

      4. Have you implemented any browser integration tools into your repository workflows (e.g., Zotero, Unpaywall)?

If it's possible to share the source code that would be very helpful for us to get cover pages automated.

Sincerely,

Pranav Vichare
Graduate Research Assistant

Library Administrative Serv