Dspace Import data from external website using API

IK Surya Negara

Jun 11, 2024, 8:03:27 AMJun 11
to DSpace Community
Hello,
i worked as IT Support in university and will use Dspace for the thesis repository.
I have Academic informatin website which contain thesis data then i need to import to Dspace. Can Dspace import data from external website using API ? and how it works ?

DSpace Community

Jun 12, 2024, 11:05:06 AMJun 12
to DSpace Community
Hello,

Yes, it is possible for DSpace 7 (and later) to import metadata from an external site.  We already support importing metadata from a large number of external sites/services.

However, to add a new site/service to that list *requires custom Java code* to be written. You'd need to create a new "org.dspace.external.provider.impl.LiveImportDataProvider" class for any new service, similar to the existing LiveImportDataProvider classes all listed in the "external-services.xml" file: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/main/dspace/config/spring/api/external-services.xml

We do not yet have a guide for building your own custom import providers.  But, someone familiar with Java coding could look at the existing import provider classes as a guide for how it can be done.

Tim