Enabling Swordv1 Server in Dspace 5.5 test instance

Karl Wirth

May 5, 2022, 7:35:47 PMMay 5
to DSpace Community

Hello everyone,

We are attempting to enable Swordv1 on our Dspace 5.5  test instance as a precursor to enabling it on our production server in order to facilitate ProQuest deposits, but we keep encountering a 404 error when trying to access the service document (http://dspace2-test.creighton.edu:8080/sword/servicedocument).

As best we can tell we have made the necessary updates to the sword-server.cfg and dspace.cfg files and have added the sword webapp folder from the dspace webapp folder (/opt/dspace/webapps/sword) to our tomcat webapp folder (/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.68/webapps/sword) based on the dspace 5 swordv1-server documentation.

We have also tried adding the sword webapp folder to /var/lib/tomcat/webapps/sword based on this similar previous question in dspace-community.

I have included a copy of the sword-server.cfg file in case we have missed a setting.

Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

Karl Wirth

Creighton University

sword-server.cfg

Kim Shepherd

May 5, 2022, 9:22:18 PMMay 5
to Karl Wirth, DSpace Community
Hi Karl, the config looks OK so I'd start by checking your Tomcat logs (both the main 'localhost' logs and the access logs) to see if there were any errors deploying the sword webapp, and to see if Tomcat itself is returning the 404, or if it's DSpace. Checking the DSpace logs at the time of requesting the page is a good idea, too - if you see an error there then at least the sword webapp is deploying and getting web traffic OK.

My instinct is that the webapp isn't deploying / starting properly for some reason. The first directory you mentioned is definitely the webapp root for Tomcat? (server.xml configuration for Tomcat will confirm this).
Tomcat may also need to be restarted after the webapp has been copied or symlinked, and check that the tomcat user is the owner of all the contents.

Hope this helps!

Kim

0CCB D957 0C35 F5C1 497E CDCF FC4B ABA3 2A1A FAEC

Karl Wirth

Jun 1, 2022, 5:59:46 PMJun 1
to DSpace Community
Hi Kim,

I apologize for the slow response. I followed your advise on checking the logs and was able to determine that sword was not deploying do to errors deploying two listeners. One of the errors was a permission error and the other was a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError. I had hoped that once I resolved the permission error it would clear the path for the system to find the missing class, unfortunately even after updating the permissions resolved the first error the second error remains. I did notice that resolving the first error took us from receiving an external page not found notice from the browser when trying to call the service document to an internal page not found notice from our dspace instance, so that is some improvement.

The error I am receiving in the localhost log is:

SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.dspace.servicemanager.servlet.DSpaceKernelServletContextListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/slf4j/LoggerFactory

With the cause given as:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.slf4j.LoggerFactory

As best I can tell the slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar file that I believe is home to the org.slf4j.LoggerFactory class is in our dspace lib folder and as far as I am aware we have never messed with the java code so I'm not sure what could be causing the issue.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!
-Karl