DSpace 7.2.1 OAI error 500

Jan Broulím

May 23, 2022, 5:14:22 AM5/23/22
to DSpace Community
Hello,

I still have problems with DSpace OAI-PMH interface - after the installation, when trying dspace.../server/oai/request?verb=Identify I got "HTTP Status 500 – Internal Server Error"

dspace.log reports no error (with  <Property name='loglevel.dspace'>DEBUG</Property>)

Tomcat reports error:

23-May-2022 11:06:48.352 SEVERE [http-nio-8080-exec-6] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke Servlet.service() for servlet
        java.lang.IllegalStateException: getOutputStream() has already been called for this response
                at org.apache.catalina.connector.Response.getWriter(Response.java:584)
                at org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseFacade.getWriter(ResponseFacade.java:227)
                at javax.servlet.ServletResponseWrapper.getWriter(ServletResponseWrapper.java:114)
                at org.springframework.boot.autoconfigure.web.servlet.error.ErrorMvcAutoConfiguration$StaticView.render(ErrorMvcAutoConfigu
                at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.render(DispatcherServlet.java:1376)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
            at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
            at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
lp        2Wrap         3Quit         4Hex          5Goto         6             7Search       8Raw

The same situation also with migrated assetstore and oai import command (sucessfull)

Thank you

Jan

Tim Donohue

May 24, 2022, 1:31:28 PM5/24/22
to DSpace Community
Hi Jan,

Someone else recently encountered this issue on Slack and reported that, for them, it was a Tomcat configuration issue.  They said the issue was with the "ReadWritePaths" for the Tomcat service file...and that Tomcat wasn't given proper privileges to read/write to the DSpace installation directory (dspace.dir).  This might be a Debian specific issue (not sure).  Here's an example I found from the Tomcat mailing list: https://lists.apache.org/thread/l3hbrxvx9x14m7gsmdgrydbs8vhbtoj9

Please let us know if this fixes things for you too.  If so, we may want to add a note to our DSpace docs about this issue, since it seems to be coming up for individuals who use Debian/Ubuntu.

Tim

Jan Broulím

May 27, 2022, 6:17:41 AM5/27/22
to Tim Donohue, DSpace Community
Hi,

ReadWritePaths for Tomcat by means of

[Service]
ReadWritePath=[dspace] in /etc/systemd/system/tomcat9.service.d
I have already considered....

It causes more serious problems than malfunction of OAI.

Thank you

Jan

Jan Broulím

Jun 13, 2022, 3:15:21 AM6/13/22
to DSpace Community
Hi,

it is solved. It might be caused by a combination of several reasons - be careful about proper settings and the name of ReadWritePaths attribute, then check rights for tomcat user. Some troubles might be causes by "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Failed to reserve shared memory. (error = 12)" from SOLR - then add in solr.in.sh:
GC_TUNE=('-XX:+UseG1GC' \
   '-XX:+PerfDisableSharedMem' \
   '-XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled' \
   '-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=250' \
   '-XX:+AlwaysPreTouch' \
   '-XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent')
and also increase the SOLR file limit (another warning) in /etc/security/limits.conf

Thanks

Jan