Handle server on DSpace 6.3 can not start

Nason Bimbe

Nov 27, 2022, 8:06:42 PM11/27/22
to DSpace Community
The handle server on the DSpace 6.3 has stopped working and each time I run a start I its not starting

Checking the error logs

in [dspace]/handle-sever/error.log.xxxx, this what I get

"2022/11/28 02:58:59 SAST" 25 Started new run.
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
        at java.lang.Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit(Runtime.java:287)
        at java.lang.System.runFinalizersOnExit(System.java:1059)
        at net.handle.server.Main.initialize(Main.java:124)
        at net.handle.server.Main.main(Main.java:75)
Shutting down...

in [dspace]/log/handle-server.log, I get

"2022/11/28 12:06:19 SAST" 25 Rotating log files
Error: null
       (see the error log for details.)

Shutting down...

Does anyone have an idea what is going on here?

Thanks
Nason

Kim Shepherd

Nov 27, 2022, 9:56:22 PM11/27/22
to Nason Bimbe, DSpace Community
Hi Nason,

This is related to the latest version of the OpenJDK 8 release, which removed some functionality that the handle server requires.
Alan Orth has some more details and notes on how to downgrade this for a Deb-based system: https://groups.google.com/g/dspace-tech/c/PqjfA5mqG4w/m/FhxI5oXhFwAJ?pli=1

Cheers

Kim

0CCB D957 0C35 F5C1 497E CDCF FC4B ABA3 2A1A FAEC

Nason Bimbe

Nov 27, 2022, 10:53:10 PM11/27/22
to DSpace Community
Thank you Kim for the steer. I have manged to resolve the problem using the solution provided in the link you provided.

Regards
Nason