Auto Generation Of Thumbnail in gcp

Manish Kumar

Apr 12, 2023, 7:24:29 AM4/12/23
to DSpace Community
Hi there,

I have integrated my dspace to Google storage to stored all asset, everything is working fine but auto generation of Thumbnail is not working.

I have used ImageMagic to generate the process for auto thumbnail generation and it's related information already exists in .cfg file.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Manish Kumar

Tim Donohue

Apr 12, 2023, 1:30:17 PM4/12/23
to DSpace Community
Hi Manish,

Generating thumbnails in DSpace requires running the "filter-media" script (usually on a scheduled basis, via a cron job or similar).  It doesn't happen though if you forget to run that script.

See the docs at:

Also see the docs about recommended scheduled tasks / cron jobs for DSpace:
If those scripts are not working for you, feel free to send any errors you are receiving to this email list, or our dspace-tech (tech support) mailing list.

Tim

Manish Kumar

Apr 25, 2023, 2:34:53 AM4/25/23
to DSpace Community
Hi,

When I add filter-media script with  Arguments -p ImageMagick Image Thumbnail, status says completed but at the time of creating item auto thumbnails are not working.
filter-media90.log

Tim Donohue

May 1, 2023, 10:22:14 AM5/1/23
to DSpace Community
Hi,

Based on your error log, it sounds like DSpace cannot find ImageMagick.  Either it's not installed or you haven't set the "org.dspace.app.mediafilter.ImageMagickThumbnailFilter.ProcessStarter" setting properly.

The important error is this one:
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: convert

That is telling me that the ImageMagick "convert" script is not found.

See the docs here on how to install/config ImageMagick & Ghostscript:   https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/ImageMagick+Media+Filters

Tim

Manish Kumar

May 12, 2023, 8:03:09 AM5/12/23
to DSpace Community
Hi,

Thanks for your response, based on your input we crossed check and found that ImageMagic(7.x) is properly installed. Please find attached snippet of docker file.

image

We have also provided path for ProcessStarter in local.cfg  i.e.   org.dspace.app.mediafilter.ImageMagickThumbnailFilter.ProcessStarter = /usr/bin.
But we are still getting the same exception while generating thumbnail. Please find the error log attached.

Request for your early response as we are stuck on this point.

Thanks,
Manish Kumar
ImageMagic-Thumbnail-Issue.txt

Manish Kumar

May 12, 2023, 8:05:48 AM5/12/23
to DSpace Community
++docker snippet.
docker-snippet.png

DSpace Community

May 12, 2023, 11:06:21 AM5/12/23
to DSpace Community
Hi,

In that case, my best guess is you have a configuration issue with ImageMagick.  Likely you need to set the " org.dspace.app.mediafilter.ImageMagickThumbnailFilter.ProcessStarter" setting to the location where ImageMagick can be found.

See the documentation on how to configure ImageMagick for DSpace here:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/ImageMagick+Media+Filters

Tim

Manish Kumar

May 19, 2023, 2:07:57 AM5/19/23
to DSpace Community
Hi,

Yes, you were right, I had configuration issue, now resolved. Really appreciated for it.

Thanks,
Manish Kumar

Emilia Lobo

May 31, 2024, 1:41:41 PMMay 31