DSpace 7 in Chrome

Shannon Kipphut-Smith

May 24, 2024, 1:33:59 PMMay 24
to DSpace Community
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been previously discussed.

We have noticed problems using DSpace 7 on Chrome. If the site was previously visited, users often will encounter a 500 Service Unavailable Error-The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

This does not occur when users are using another web browser. Is this a common experience? Is there anything we can do to reduce the error messages on the DSpace end? A majority of our known users use Chrome.

Thank you,
Shannon

--
Shannon Kipphut-Smith (she/her)
Scholarly Communications Liaison

DSpace Community

May 31, 2024, 12:01:03 PMMay 31
to DSpace Community
Hi Shannon,

DSpace 7 should work fine in any browser.  I'm a regular Chrome user myself and can verify that the DSpace 7 demo site works well in Chrome: https://demo.dspace.org/  I also regularly test DSpace 7 (and 8) in Chrome, and have never noticed any issues.

It's unclear to me what could be occurring (as I've not heard of this problem before). But generally speaking, a "500 Service Unavailable Error" usually means there's a communication issue between the User Interface and the backend (REST API) *or* the backend is erroring out in some way.

I'd recommend seeing if you can get more information about the error by following our Troubleshooting guide.  You may be able to get a more detailed error from either your browser's DevTools or from the backend logs (or both) by following that guide.  Once you find the error, you can see if it already has an answer on this mailing list, or if we have a solution posted in our "Common Installation Issues" section of the Install guide.

If the error you find doesn't make sense, or if you are able to figure out more specifics, please feel free to share them on this mailing list.  Perhaps we'll be able to figure out what could be going on with more information.

Tim