DSpace 5 handle server problem

Jan Skůpa

Oct 26, 2022, 1:36:40 AM10/26/22
to DSpace Community
Until recently we had no problem with the handle server, but now it just stopped working. In the error.log I see this:

"2022/10/26 03:04:46 CEST" 25 Started new run.
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
    at java.lang.Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit(Runtime.java:287)
    at java.lang.System.runFinalizersOnExit(System.java:1059)
    at net.handle.server.Main.initialize(Main.java:124)
    at net.handle.server.Main.main(Main.java:75)
Shutting down...

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Thanks a lot!

Øyvind Gjesdal

Oct 27, 2022, 7:50:33 AM10/27/22
to DSpace Community
The same thing happened to us.

I believe something has changed which removed some operations in the openjdk version 1:1.8.0.352 (for us installed  in Rockylinux by dnf), but I haven't been able to confirm it. https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/openjdk/8 doesn't list the release notes for version 352 yet.

I got the handle-server currently running again by downgrading the openjdk packages, but hope to find a better way forward. I see the dependency for dspace:handle (which I'm guessing is the the dependency for net.handle.server?)  in the pom.xml is the same for both DSpace 5, and DSpace 6, so the handle server may also be broken there?

Are you using an enterprise linux distro or is the bug also present in other distros?

Best regards,
Øyvind

kos...@ufal.mff.cuni.cz

Oct 31, 2022, 5:05:52 AM10/31/22
to DSpace Community
Hey,
the cause is probably:
core-libs / java.lang
3
Retire Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit so that it always throws UOE

OK

Jan Skůpa

Oct 31, 2022, 8:48:00 AM10/31/22
to DSpace Community
Great, thx, downgrade java helped and our handle server is running also.
And yes, we are using Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.9 (Maipo)