DSpace VPAT

Gabriel Galson

Oct 24, 2022, 3:12:34 PM10/24/22
to DSpace Community
Group-

Our institution needs to locate an accessibility VPAT (Voluntary Product Accessibility Template) for DSpace versions 5,6, and/or 7. Are these available? If not, what's the most complete documentation available on dspace's accessibility features?

Thank you for your help!

-Gabe

Tim Donohue

Oct 24, 2022, 3:43:47 PM10/24/22
to Gabriel Galson, DSpace Community
Hi Gabriel,

As DSpace is a free, open-source platform built/maintained by its community of users, there is no formal vendor / purchaser relationship around the software.  So, we do not have a centrally maintained/distributed VPAT, as there's no software vendor (and in fact no centralized development team -- all effort is donated by the community of users and service providers).

That said, the DSpace community developer team do strive for alignment with WCAG 2.1 accessibility guidelines and best practices (see our code contribution guidelines [1]).  We also treat any reported accessibility issues as bugs, and work with the community to try and resolve them as soon as possible in a future release.

Last year, we had a third-party (Deque) accessibility review of DSpace 7's UI.  At the time, it found a number of accessibility issues which we've been working through in priority order. Major/Critical issues have all since been resolved, but there are less severe issues which we are working through little by little. Those can be found in our GitHub tickets with the "accessibility" label. https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+accessibility+label%3Aaccessibility  (And we welcome volunteers as well to help us continue to close out these tickets.)

It's possible specific institutions who use DSpace (or service providers who provide services on top of DSpace) have done a recent accessibility analysis or developed their own VPAT (or VPAT template).  If so, I hope they report back on this email thread as well.

Tim

Oct 25, 2022, 5:06:46 PM10/25/22
to DSpace Community

Hi, All,

I am researching data repository platforms. I understand that the most popular data repository platforms are DataVerse, Dryad, InvenioRDM/Zenodo, and figshare.

I also understand that DSpace (of the box) does not provide certain features. For example, workflow(submission) not flexible for data repository, strict tree-structure of community/collection/sub-collection not working for overlapping collections for biology/science.

So far, I only find out that only one case identified using DSpace as a data repository. I am curious that anyone uses DSpace for data repository.

Any additional information will be helpful.

Thank you very much in advance,

Yan Han

Han, Yan - (yhan)

Oct 25, 2022, 5:09:13 PM10/25/22
to dspace-c...@googlegroups.com

Mark H. Wood

Oct 26, 2022, 7:52:32 AM10/26/22
On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 09:06:18PM +0000, Han, Yan - (yhan) wrote:
> I am researching data repository platforms. I understand that the most popular data repository platforms are DataVerse, Dryad, InvenioRDM/Zenodo, and figshare.
>
> I also understand that DSpace (of the box) does not provide certain
> features. For example, workflow(submission) not flexible for data
> repository,

Well, that depends on what sort of flexibility you require.

For some time DSpace offered two workflow systems. The default system
had a three-stage workflow with defined roles. It was the first
workflow system built into DSpace.

The alternate "configurable" workflow system is delivered with a
configuration to mimic the default system, but can be reconfigured
with any number of stages. Each stage can be composed of a role,
rules for satisfying the stage, and rules for transition to another
stage. You can easily incorporate custom code if you need rules that
don't ship with the package. I'm still just beginning to learn what
can be done with it, but it seems to me quite flexible. What are your
requirements?

In both systems, roles are represented by ordinary user account
groups. Group membership is easily adjusted.

Starting in DSpace v7 the "configurable" workflow system is the only one.

> strict tree-structure of community/collection/sub-collection not working for overlapping collections for biology/science.

Individual items can be mapped into any number of collections.

The community/collection structure is strictly a tree.

> So far, I only find out that only one case identified using DSpace as a data repository. I am curious that anyone uses DSpace for data repository.

dataworks.iupui.edu is one such.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst