I suggest that given the demise of the Copper Mill proposals that we defer voting tonight on the quorum bylaw amendments and the Community Benefits Agreement voting issues. Yes, a lot of work went into those by the Bylaws Committee, of which I am a member, but the number and content of the proposals are confusing and disjointed. We can do better.
I felt a lot of pressure to get something out the door. A major source of that pressure is gone. I propose that it is best that we have the DSNC Bylaw Committee take back and take the time needed to revisit the proposals to reach a consensus among those who proposed the amendments and the Bylaws Committee on a simpler set of proposals.
There is no reason not to proceed on the other proposals, i.e., those that do not deal with CBA voting and meeting quorum issues.
And some of the time saved can be spent on an open discussion on how to proceed given the withdrawal of Copper Mill and the pending Davis Square Neighborhood Planning process snd otherwise to shorten the meeting.
Ed Woll
80 Winslow Avenue
Somerville, MA
On Aug 31, 2026, at 11:36 AM, Elaine Almquist <elaine....@gmail.com> wrote:Hi Neighbors,The DSNC Board received this letter from Copper Mill this morning, which we are sharing with all of you, and because our website and Drive is public, the wider community.The major takeaway is that Copper Mill, the developer who has been involved with the proposal for 231-249 Elm Street has stated "we will not be moving forward with our transit-oriented housing development in Davis Square."We can address how this news affects the DSNC Community Benefits Committee process at tonight's meeting (hybrid on Zoom and at the Crystal Ballroom from 6pm to 8pm).My personal hope is that this means we can all turn our attention to engaging in the ongoing Davis Square Neighborhood Plan process, and expect that future proposed projects will be guided by our proactively-collected community desires and that we will not need to react to a 1-off project proposal in this way again.Looking forward to seeing you all tonight,ElainePresident, Davis Square Neighborhood Council--
Davis Square Neighborhood Council · https://DavisSquareNC.org · https://linktr.ee/DavisSquareNC
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Davis Square Neighborhood Council" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to davissquaren...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/davissquarenc/CAEK62Jca6BNB8OEHLTGoV%2B-4p0T4Yfnq6KVD7Naya9riZHmBhw%40mail.gmail.com.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DSNC Discussion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsnc-discussi...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsnc-discussion/0FCB217A-DCF9-4E9A-B202-408D67D8CC9E%40woll.us.
The fact that there is a proposed bylaw amendment that would lower the threshold for approving CBAs has been cited in written comments to the City Council (see attachment "6 residents - DSNC" on this page) as a reason not to recognize us as a neighborhood council. We are expecting to have a hearing before a council committee in September, and I think it would be extremely helpful to have that resolved one way or another so we can respond to that complaint. (I would not be surprised if it is repeated verbally in the hearing.)
On Mon, 2026-08-31 at 15:10 -0400, Edward Woll wrote:
The demise of the Copper Mill project means that there is no project on the horizon that would call for a community benefits agreement to be negotiated by DSNC.
I don't think that's true; Board members are supposed to be meeting with the developer of 882 Broadway soon, and they have already asked what the DSNC would like to see in that project. We need to have a large public meeting to gather information about that specifically for this project and for projects in general, but we could potentially negotiate a small CBA in the next few months, and have substantial input on the design of the building.
Chris
On Aug 31, 2026, at 3:20 PM, Zachary Yaro <zmy...@zmyaro.com> wrote:As I understand it (and please correct me if I misunderstand), the Board can't delay the vote, but we could fairly swiftly vote to refer the proposed amendments back to the Bylaws Committee if the majority of the members attending agree with Ed?Zachary Yaro
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsnc-discussion/CAMQNHnyARexDq50RAUk2MS%2Bs9DpGyj4JhTSNzMJVnUmyaAoo7A%40mail.gmail.com.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DSNC Discussion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsnc-discussi...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsnc-discussion/cd641db6aa4a01c29cf023eacfd7fe15c9f11724.camel%40alum.mit.edu.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DSNC Discussion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsnc-discussi...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsnc-discussion/75a96921-a7c8-4fa3-a803-e09fee43201an%40googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsnc-discussi...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsnc-discussion/CALDkL1chrDqSYJe%2BH9wNH_NavuzFsRDrgnfuDZiCmgg5bTrHrw%40mail.gmail.com.
Hi PJ et al,Thanks for your thoughtful response!I agree that we all want "Davis Square to be a pleasant place to live and work," but isn't that sentiment too broad to be actionable? For some, a reduction or elimination of real estate tax would be quite pleasant, for others stringent rent control would be pleasant; but they seem mutually exclusive. The same applies to public safety vs leniency toward substance abuse in public. Is there a list, or perhaps a ticket system to track issues and rank them in importance, or in controversy within the community? I'd love to see a top ten list of important issues/values of the DSNC.I guess my struggle is understanding how to align representing what the DS community wants with advocating for policies and providing input to the city. I see a lot of discussion in this group assuming opinions which I do not believe are widely shared by the community. I am also puzzled why, if the DSNC is truly a representative organization, why weren't any DSNC governance positions on the ballot yesterday? I know there was a vote a while ago, but why don't we vote the way we normally elect our representatives?I am aware of another group, Davis Square Village. Is this part of DSNC? If not, how would you characterize the relationship between the groups? Can they both be recognized as neighborhood councils?Also what is the role of our City Councilor vis-a-vis DSNC? He seems quite disinterested in serving/communicating his constituency in Davis Square so is it the intent of DSNC to pick up the slack in being responsive to DS constituents?One last question...I have been quite happy with the recent "glow up" of the square. The signage, the slip way alterations and the Friday activities have been great! Were these intiated by DSNC? My perception is that they were initiated by the Mayor. I would love to know who to thank because it has made the Square a more "pleasant place to live and work"!I know thats a lot, sorry! I am just trying to understand the basics so I can better appreciate the thoughtful exchanges I see in this group.AL
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsnc-discussion/CALDkL1dJ0r%2B-ytCemsVYjBaKGpRHD3Y6%3DAWP_xy9-GE0aVtqVg%40mail.gmail.com.
Hi Neighbors,The DSNC Board received this letter from Copper Mill this morning, which we are sharing with all of you, and because our website and Drive is public, the wider community.The major takeaway is that Copper Mill, the developer who has been involved with the proposal for 231-249 Elm Street has stated "we will not be moving forward with our transit-oriented housing development in Davis Square."
We can address how this news affects the DSNC Community Benefits Committee process at tonight's meeting (hybrid on Zoom and at the Crystal Ballroom from 6pm to 8pm).
My personal hope is that this means we can all turn our attention to engaging in the ongoing Davis Square Neighborhood Plan process, and expect that future proposed projects will be guided by our proactively-collected community desires and that we will not need to react to a 1-off project proposal in this way again.
Looking forward to seeing you all tonight,ElainePresident, Davis Square Neighborhood Council
--
Davis Square Neighborhood Council · https://DavisSquareNC.org · https://linktr.ee/DavisSquareNC
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Davis Square Neighborhood Council" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to davissquaren...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/davissquarenc/CAEK62Jca6BNB8OEHLTGoV%2B-4p0T4Yfnq6KVD7Naya9riZHmBhw%40mail.gmail.com.