LEAD CNC Status

Caroline Longnecker

May 19, 2024, 7:00:45 PMMay 19
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I lost the original thread so I'm making a new one. It's really close
now. I think the only issue now is a wiring/config issue with the VFD,
and then some testing and configuring Fusion+VCarve for the new spindle.

I believe I have the firmware configured correctly, but the spindle
never shuts off completely when commanded to stop. Hopefully Jason has
some time to figure this out, ideally with me there so we can know for
sure it's sorted.

Jason - The firmware has been fully updated, as well as OpenBuilds
Control. I tested it and OBC connects correctly. For testing, if I'm not
there, you should be able to wake the computer up, start OBC, connect to
/dev/ttyUSB0, and it should allow you to control the spindle.

Once it's working again there will be a small bit of training that
everyone currently trained will need to complete. This should be able to
be administered digitally, likely a video to watch and some brief things
to read to understand the new spindle.

Caroline

Jake Leister

May 20, 2024, 12:56:52 PMMay 20
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
thanks for making such good progress. Will be exciting to run it with the new spindle.

Jason Bentley

May 20, 2024, 9:53:37 PMMay 20
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I have nothing left on it, the spindle responds correctly to a 0-10 dc signal. The enable also works correctly, everything left is on the PC interface side, I will not be doing anything on that side.

Jason

Caroline Longnecker

May 21, 2024, 10:08:54 AMMay 21
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Something is wrong, and I don't think it's on the controller side. The previous spindle was controlled purely via the enable output as per how I configured it and it worked correctly. The only config changes I made were to add the output pin and change the control to 0-10v. Now speed control works correctly, but the spindle never shuts off.

This should've been a red flag to me when you reported the spindle immediately went full speed as soon as you turned the machine on, but it had been a while since I configured the machine so I forgot. If the enable signal on the VFD was configured correctly for how the control handles the output, then it wouldn't have moved at all. This system worked with the relay power strip just fine.

Caroline

Jake Leister

May 22, 2024, 12:01:16 PMMay 22
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I did take a look a bit it looks like the 0-10v is more like a .3v -10v. I assume that is what is causing the issues?

jasondav...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 2:47:59 PMMay 22
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
If the enable relay (in the black box) is open the spindle will not run. This has been proven. Are we sure the software is opening and closing the relay correctly.

I won’t be in until the board meeting.

Jason
Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2024, at 11:01 AM, Jake Leister <jtlei...@gmail.com> wrote:

I did take a look a bit it looks like the 0-10v is more like a .3v -10v. I assume that is what is causing the issues?
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsmhackerspace/47e2636c-a2aa-40af-9936-ab173123acdbn%40googlegroups.com.

Caroline Longnecker

May 23, 2024, 9:56:00 AMMay 23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com, jasondav...@gmail.com

Jake,

That's not the issue. Its supposed to be configured for a 0-10V signal with an enable signal, so it should only be on when the enable signal says for it to be on, regardless of the 0-10V status.

Jason,

It's not a Black Box, it's a CNC XPro V5. The enable pin on the connector you hooked up to isn't a relay, it's a 0-5V signal line. If you need it to be a relay there is a relay that can be configured to switch based on the enable signal.

Caroline