Miter saw station

Jason Bentley

Feb 4, 2023, 3:40:21 PM2/4/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
As many users of the woodshop know our current miter saw station has some problems. Principally it is intent on tearing itself apart in the center.

To that end, I have designed a new one in Sketchup, but as you have seen by my kitchen shelf project, I don't have time to finish it by myself. The new station is shorter and lighter yet capable of handling longer material, is much more rigid, and should be cleaner. If anyone would like to help this thread will have more information soon regarding materials and all that.

Attached is the link to the sketchup project. I am terrible at modeling hinges so the 2 ironing board wings on the ends are hinged and shown in the down position.

Miter Saw Station.png
Thanks,
Jason

Jeff Hagerman

Feb 4, 2023, 7:17:40 PM2/4/23
to Area515 (Woodworking Shop)
Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful!

Say when.

Jeff H.

Jeff Hagerman

Feb 10, 2023, 4:19:19 PM2/10/23
to Area515 (Woodworking Shop)
(No response).

Jason Bentley

Feb 11, 2023, 7:37:40 PM2/11/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Work has started on the miter saw station.

Jason Bentley

Feb 12, 2023, 9:44:22 AM2/12/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Cutlist for miter saw station.

Back 36x32x0.25 (2)

Cabinet Bottom 27x13.75x0.75 (4)

Cabinet Top 28x14x0.5 (2)

DrawerBase 27x14x0.25 (2)

EndPanel 36x14x.75

Fence 28x2.25

Hinge Block 8x0.75x0.75 (4)

Inner Cabinet Side 36x10.75x0.5 (2)

Frame Length 82x1.5x3.5 (4)

Frame Depth 10.75x1.5x3.5 (12)

Wings 8x34.0.75 (2)

We should have everything except the 2x4 for the frame.

Jason

Jeff Hagerman

Feb 12, 2023, 2:09:26 PM2/12/23
to Area515 (Woodworking Shop)
'Just saw this but, can't make it today due to other commitments.

When will you need help?

Jeff Hagerman

Feb 14, 2023, 5:18:21 PM2/14/23
to Area515 (Woodworking Shop)
(No response)

Jason Bentley

Feb 15, 2023, 4:54:31 PM2/15/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
There are some 2x4 end cuts on the orange wood shelves marked for the miter saw station and 5x5 sheets of baltic birch on the sheet goods cart for anyone wanting to help with the cutlist. This will not be a group project, sketchup drawings are available here and the cutlist is provided above. My time is completely consumed with Project Morgan.

Thank you to all who want to help. I will do what I can to answer your questions and help with the project when I can.

Jason

Jason Bentley

Feb 19, 2023, 7:09:51 PM2/19/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Dropped off the 2x4s for the Miter Saw Station today. Might be able to do some work on it next weekend, but kind of doubt it.

Jason

Troy Mcclellan

Feb 27, 2023, 7:04:49 PM2/27/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

I’ve made some progress. I didn’t attach the left and right top boards (or the back rails) because I’m not sure if that would interfere with attaching the drawers.

Thanks
Troy
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspace+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsmhackerspace/91388078-fc4c-45d1-84e2-3731cbb23f0fn%40googlegroups.com.
9C737634-67F6-4B99-8721-0CEB0D5B65C7.jpeg

Jason Bentley

Feb 27, 2023, 10:01:55 PM2/27/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Great news, and a big THANK YOU to Troy, for helping out on this last weekend. We were able to get much more finished than I thought. Next step will be to use the miter saw to fine tune the height of the tables and then lock it down. Then cut the fence, and top rails, and build and mount the wings. Getting close. Don't let me forget the casters either.

Jason

Jason Bentley

Mar 12, 2023, 10:29:47 AM3/12/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Troy helped me get the miter saw station tuned up and in place. The wings still need to be built, and I want to get a coat of paint on it at some time, but it is in place and usable now.
Only had 1 miscalculation that caused a few minutes of rework.

Thanks

Troy Mcclellan

Mar 13, 2023, 7:32:07 PM3/13/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

We need to tweak the left side back piece. It's sticking out and preventing cutting a board square.

Thanks
Troy

Jason Bentley

Mar 13, 2023, 9:13:12 PM3/13/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
You mean the left side wood fence?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsmhackerspace/CABan80S33ssiwA8-m3kYbuw0EhRDsdGOLDvE5FWBKuE0zYPvhg%40mail.gmail.com.

Troy Mcclellan

Mar 14, 2023, 11:06:57 AM3/14/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Yes
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspace+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Jason Bentley

Mar 16, 2023, 7:29:53 PM3/16/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I realigned it Monday should be good now.