Doors and locks

Travis Smith

Jun 24, 2024, 4:32:08 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to Area 515
PSA:

If the front door is not closed when I come to the space, I’m going to close it. If you’re outside then you should have your key fob/card. If you’re outside in your car I can’t assume you’re authorized to access the space. I don’t know you (unless I do). I don’t know if you’re coming back in or leaving and just forgot to close the door all the way or some random disgruntled person. Please don’t raise your voice at me when you can’t get back in.

-Travis

Sent from my iPhone

David Champion

Jun 24, 2024, 6:24:55 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to back up Travis on this.

Our official policy is: as a member you are not obligated to answer the door or let anyone in, especially if you don't know them or their membership status. In fact I would discourage you from allowing anyone to "tailgate" you into the makerspace if you don't know who they are. The only exception for this is during our "open to the public" times like Open House on Tuesday nights when we are expecting visitors.

If you need to go outside, take your keys / fob with you. I've been known to leave the door cracked open if I'm just grabbing something from my car just because I'm being lazy, but I also have my keys with me. If you ever spend any time working in a secure facility like a data center that gets drilled into you pretty quickly.

If you're the person that yelled at Travis, you owe him an apology.

Thanks,

-dc

derek vermeland

Jun 25, 2024, 10:19:46 AM (8 days ago) Jun 25
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Nobody raised their voice at you. I simply said that if the door is propped open, someone is coming back in. It's the same thing I'd do if I was grabbing large materials from my car.

Derek Vermeland

Travis Smith

Jun 25, 2024, 10:33:35 AM (8 days ago) Jun 25
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Listen, you did raise your voice at me, and when I entered it didn’t appear you were unloading your car, but as I pointed out then and here, keep your card on you.  The door should be kept locked for all the reasons I stated above.  If someone latches it on you, and you don’t have your key don’t make it their problem.

-Travis

Sent from my iPhone

David Champion

Jun 25, 2024, 10:50:14 AM (8 days ago) Jun 25
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Let's take this off list, no need to bother everyone with it.

-dc

This conversation is locked