Help with a gaming computer to determine if it works.

rjr...@hotmail.com

Aug 26, 2023, 3:35:23 PM8/26/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

My daughter’s boyfriend bought a used gaming computer off Facebook marketplace, and after he got it home, it wouldn’t work. He doesn’t know what to do since the seller won’t respond and blocked him. We have a member’s meeting today, and I was hoping someone would be willing to look at it to see what’s wrong with it or if it’s trash. I opened it up, and everything on the looks pretty good, but the graphics card has lots of corrosion, which might be why the screen won’t turn on. Looking at the slot the current card is in, it seems like a PCIe x16. If anyone would be willing to take a look at it today or has an extra graphics card they’d be willing to give him or sell for very little, we’d appreciate it. I think he said he paid somewhere around $700 for it, so I feel bad that he may have been scammed. I also posted this request for help in our Slack group if you're part of that and would prefer to respond there. TiA!

Travis Smith

Aug 28, 2023, 1:10:12 PM8/28/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Good luck with that, but yes, it was certainly a scam.  I wouldn't buy a computer person to person without a boot up test before paying.  If someone hasn't already looked at it for you I'd start by removing the PCI graphics card and seeing if it defaults to integrated graphics and at least gives you a post test.  If you can get that far you might be able to salvage it.

-Travis

On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 2:35 PM rjr...@hotmail.com <rjr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

rjr...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 4:15:40 AM8/29/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks for the comment, Travis! John took a look at it after the members meeting, and said it's most likely a problem with the motherboard or a component on that. There happened to be another one on the hack rack, so my daughter's boyfriend took it home to see if that would fix it.

Ryan