Quarterly Membership Meeting

David Champion

Jan 20, 2023, 7:15:44 PM1/20/23
to dsmhackerspace
FYI we have a Quarterly Membership Meeting, Sunday 1/29 at 13:00 (aka 1pm).

All Full members should plan to attend, give a proxy to someone, or temporarily downgrade to a Supporting member (you can go back to Full at any time).

An agenda doc will be shared some time prior to the meeting.

Google meet info if you can't attend in person:
Quarterly Membership Meeting
Sunday, January 29 · 1:00 – 2:00pm
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/vom-rrvp-gvn
Or dial: ‪(US) +1 540-680-4302‬ PIN: ‪811 594 741‬#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/vom-rrvp-gvn?pin=2568125085933

-dc

Brad Freese

Jan 25, 2023, 4:44:43 PM1/25/23
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Here's a link to the agenda so far. If you think of something that should be added please let me know.

Brad Freese

Jan 26, 2023, 11:31:03 PM1/26/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Nobody: “Hey! What’s the difference between Full members and Supporting members?”

Me: Officially, the difference between Full and Supporting members is described in the bylaws which are tucked away in the website here (https://legal.area515.org/legal-documents/bylaws).

In practice there’s not much difference between the two. Full members can vote at meetings and hold events at the space. (Technically the bylaws also speak of select areas of the space only accessible to Full members, but said areas don’t actually exist.)

When you join you start as a Supporting member. If you decide you want to stick around long enough that you want to help with decision making you can become a Full member by getting voted up at one of these meetings. To qualify you have to be either…

A) Nominated by a Full member AND have been a member for at least 6 months
-or-
B) Nominated by at least 3 Full members

Please only ask to become a Full member if you’re really interested in helping make decisions at the space. There’s more to it than just the glitz and glamor! The downside is that once you become one you really need to keep attending the member meetings. Member meetings need to be attended by at least 1/2 the Full members in order to reach quorum and meetings often meet quorum with only 0 or 1 person to spare. So becoming a Full member makes quorum that much harder for the space to reach.

There are ways around this too though. As a Full member you can decide to “demote” yourself back to a Supporting member temporarily - thus you don’t count against quorum. You can also give your vote by proxy to someone who attends and thus you count towards quorum.

I hope this answers any questions anybody may have had but were too afraid to ask. :)