Free Toaster for 100th Member!

Brad Freese

Jul 30, 2022, 4:58:54 PM7/30/22
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Someone suggested that when we finally sign up a 100th member we should give that person a free toaster.
Well I think I found the right model for us to give. It's perfectly in keeping with the standards of quality and well-thought out design that I think everyone has come to expect from us as a makerspace. All we need is a large battery, couple pop cans, some nichrome and chicken wire. The linked youtube video even gives step by step assembly directions.
What could go wrong! **
DIY Mini Toaster 3.jpg

DIY Mini Toaster 1.jpg
DIY Mini Toaster 2.jpg

** I am not being serious.

Brad Freese

Jul 30, 2022, 5:20:42 PM7/30/22
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Then if that works, then we should try making this not-sketchy-at-all welding machine out of three 12V lead acid batteries.**
DIY Mini Welding Machine 1.jpg
Can... can I admit that I laughed out loud when I saw him use sunglasses as welding goggles?
DIY Mini Welding Machine 3.jpg

** No, we shouldn't.

Cody henry

Jul 30, 2022, 6:31:43 PM7/30/22
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I am in for $10

David Champion

Jul 30, 2022, 6:55:36 PM7/30/22
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I think $10 is too much. ;)

Also, I like it.

-dc

Jeff Hagerman

Jul 30, 2022, 7:15:32 PM7/30/22
to Area515 (Woodworking Shop)
I know that I'm dating myself (but that's alright) when I tell you that my grandparents had a toaster very similar to this.
It was a wire a-frame with exposed coils. A wire rack on both sides held the bread about 3/4" from the coils.
It was collapsible (which saved space in the tiny Winnebago trailer that was used when they would take my brother and me on summer-long vacations).
The power cord was one of those copper-colored, fabric covered cords with a bakelite plug the size of a silver dollar.
(I guess that I've done it again).

Troy Mcclellan

Jul 30, 2022, 10:37:22 PM7/30/22
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Util designs

Jul 30, 2022, 10:44:32 PM7/30/22
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Make it smart by hiking it to the internet and I think we have a winner!

Tom Pesek

James Shoemaker

Aug 1, 2022, 11:24:40 AM8/1/22
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
   An ESP8266 and a few relays would do that.

David Champion

Jan 11, 2023, 1:19:46 AM1/11/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
FYI as of today we are at 99 members on the spreadsheet, of course some members will possibly drop off as is normal. But, just sayin', we're pretty close to having 100 current members, we may need to come up with the ASAP Toaster to give away. :)

-dc

Cody henry

Jan 11, 2023, 11:03:11 AM1/11/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

We should build one of these and give it to them:

James Larkby-Lahet

Jan 11, 2023, 11:13:04 AM1/11/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
i was thinking reflow kit for a toaster oven.

Kevin Fusselman

Jan 11, 2023, 11:47:29 AM1/11/23
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I found myself thinking about this earlier today and the sketchiest toaster I could imagine was a fork and a blowtorch... More of a "hands on" approach.