Upcoming MAJOR REVISION on "QA"

Frank Yeh

Aug 2, 2022, 4:00:06 PM8/2/22
to DSI Studio
Dear DSI Studio users,

     We are about to replace QA with "normalized" QA in the new versions. The newly created FIB files will have QA normalized as default, whereas the previous versions provide both the raw QA and the normalized QA (i.e., nqa).

     The modification will only affect newly generated FIB files. Any existing FIB files can still be used in the new versions to get QA and nQA results.

      The connectometry analysis results may not be identical. After this revision . The new versions will check if the QA in the connectometry database is normalized and apply normalization. This normalization steps are different from the "normalize QA" function in the advanced option.

     If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know. I will do my best to address all concerns before introducing this major revision.

Best regards,
Frank

Aleksi Sihvonen

Aug 12, 2022, 3:25:23 AM8/12/22
to DSI Studio
Dear Frank,

thank you for the major revision and for the wonderful software. I updated to the recent version and noticed that the connectometry has a software issue: After finishing the first run, if one wants to change the variable of interest and then re-run the analysis with current parameters, the software fails, becomes unresponsive and crashes.

Best regards,
Aleksi

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Aug 12, 2022, 8:29:33 AM8/12/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting the issue.
I will fix it and get back to you.
Best regards,
Frank

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Aug 13, 2022, 8:34:10 PM8/13/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I cannot reproduce the issue using the database on my end.
It could be that the bug only happens at certain settings.
Could you upload the db.fib.gz and demographic text file, and let me know the step to induce the problem?
I will fix it asap.
Frank

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Aug 24, 2022, 4:18:02 PM8/24/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
I have worked out an update, and hopefully it has this bug resolved.
Frank

Daniela Cossio

Nov 7, 2022, 1:15:04 PM11/7/22
to DSI Studio
Hi,

Can you explain why the default for the new version is normalized QA ? I guess my question stems from trying to  understand the theory behind it. Is normalized QA a better measurement than unnormalized QA? I'd appreciate any info or documentation for this. I'm asking because my lab previously ran using unnormalized QA.

Thanks,

Daniela

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Nov 7, 2022, 1:26:32 PM11/7/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Normalized QA will scale QA values so that the maximum QA of a scan is one.
Before normalization, the raw QA may have a larger variation due to coil sensitivity and B1 inhomogeneity.
After normalization, the variation due to MRI acquisition is often reduced.
Frank