vectors look a bit strange: is this expected?

Elizabeth Olson

Oct 27, 2021, 5:22:59 PM10/27/21
to DSI Studio
Dear Frank,

I'm new to DTI Studio (though not to diffusion analysis) and am really enjoying it so far; thanks for all of your work on it.

I have been playing around with it a bit using just the DTI option and am a bit perplexed because the vectors that display in the bottom left panel when I open up the fib file look different than what I would expect. I'm attaching here screenshots of vectors from the same participant, one with the diffusion run in FSL (and V1 displayed), and one with the panel at bottom left in the fib file. As you can see, the vecs look much more 'disorganized' for lack of a better word in DSI Studio, especially in the blue direction.

I'm having trouble even figuring out whether this is really the V1 file that's displaying at bottom left when I open the fib, or if it's something else. If it is V1, why would it look so different than the FSL implementation?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Sincerely,
Liz
McLean/HMS
vectors_FSL.JPG
vectors_DSIStudio.JPG

Frank Yeh

Oct 27, 2021, 7:17:16 PM10/27/21
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
They are both V1, and both figures look very similar to me (ignoring
the background intensity).
Frank

Elizabeth Olson

Oct 27, 2021, 7:28:19 PM10/27/21
to DSI Studio
Thanks so much for this speedy and reassuring feedback!

The thing that had me initially concerned was that I'm used to seeing the little lines for the vector orientation in each voxel pointing in the same direction along the tract, as in the circled red part of the pics attached below. The fact that the lines weren't oriented that way in DSI Studio had me a bit worried, but it sounds like that's fine and not something to fuss over here?

Thanks again,
Liz
vectors_DSIStudio2.JPG
vectors_FSL2.JPG

Frank Yeh

Oct 27, 2021, 7:53:26 PM10/27/21
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
It seems that there are some through-plane directions, and thus the
sticks appeared to be shorter.
You can increase the length of the stick line using the right upper
option window under [Region Window] to get a clearer result.
Frank
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsi-studio/3cad065d-7baf-4d07-b689-f64bf4230fa5n%40googlegroups.com.

Elizabeth Olson

Oct 27, 2021, 8:06:18 PM10/27/21
to DSI Studio
Ah terrific!! Those controls in the upper right window under 'Region Window' were super helpful; zooming, decreasing the fiber width and increasing the fiber length helped to show that everything looks as it should. Screenshot attached for posterity.
Thanks again,
Liz

vectors_DSIStudio3.JPG

Frank Yeh