DSI data quality

Mark Pinsk

May 10, 2023, 8:15:55 AM5/10/23
to DSI Studio
Hi Frank

I collected a sample dataset with the 101 grid scheme (bmax=7K, MB=3, 2.4mm voxels), but having some trouble.  Would you mind taking a look at the images?

1. I cannot create a brain mask in DSI-Studio, and it will not properly load the mask that is output by QSIprep.
2. Both the original un-processed whole brain tracks and the QSIprep processed tracks look pretty bad.

The QSIPrep preprocessing included bias correction, denoising, SHOREline motion correction, susceptibility correction with opposing B0s, and ACPC rotation.

Any thoughts on the images?  Is this what you typically get?  I've uploaded a zip file for you with both original and preprocessed images plus brain mask.

thanks!
Mark

Fang-Cheng Yeh

May 10, 2023, 8:41:02 AM5/10/23
to mpi...@gmail.com, DSI Studio
Sorry about the problem.
Could you upload the SRC file?

Fang-Cheng Yeh

May 10, 2023, 8:41:31 AM5/10/23
to mpi...@gmail.com, DSI Studio
I am checking the file and will get back to you.
Frank

Fang-Cheng Yeh

May 10, 2023, 8:45:08 AM5/10/23
to mpi...@gmail.com, DSI Studio
The b-value is too high, and thus the SNR is not enough.
The recommended value at
https://dsi-studio.labsolver.org/doc/how_to_acquire_dmri.html is
b-max=4000, and for 101 direction, the value can be further reduce to
3000.
Frank

Mark Pinsk

May 10, 2023, 9:01:04 AM5/10/23
to DSI Studio
I was setting 7K to optimize for differential tractography.  Do you think 3-4K is okay for diff tract ?

Fang-Cheng Yeh

May 10, 2023, 9:09:40 AM5/10/23
to mpi...@princeton.edu, DSI Studio

Mark Pinsk

May 10, 2023, 12:26:41 PM5/10/23
to DSI Studio
<thumbs up>

Mark Pinsk

May 13, 2023, 2:02:27 AM5/13/23
to DSI Studio
Hi Frank

Would you mind examining my two new pilot scans? I've updoaded the SRC files for the data (no preprocessing).
#1- 101 dir, bmax=3K, 2.4mm, MB=3, TE=120ms, 6 minutes
#2- 258 dir, bmax=4K, 2.4mm, MB=4, TE=132ms, 11 minutes

#1 gives 6 bad slices.
#2 gives 1859 bad slices !

thanks
Mark

Fang-Cheng Yeh

May 13, 2023, 8:50:33 AM5/13/23
to mpi...@gmail.com, DSI Studio
I checked the data. The MB=4 with bmax=4k does not have enough SNR,
likely due to no enough gradient performance.
I would suggest using MB=3 and bmax=3000 with 258 directions for your system.
Frank
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsi-studio/b2cbad64-b198-4f06-a01f-ed8a577701f0n%40googlegroups.com.

Mark Pinsk

May 14, 2023, 7:54:04 PM5/14/23
to DSI Studio
Thanks!  I'll try 258dir with MB=3 versus MB=4 with bmax=3000.