help with peripheral nerve reconstruction

Michel Audette

Oct 5, 2021, 3:34:07 PM10/5/21
to Do...@evms.edu, Niaz, Atif, sfos...@odu.edu, jsha...@odu.edu, dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear Frank,

I would like to pick your brains on how to optimize tractographic reconstruction for peripheral nerves, such as the sciatic, which we are attempting here. I would like to find out if we can improve on the current results by using 2D seed contours at both ends of a tract to constrain the path of the reconstruction. Is there a tractography option on DSI for doing that? See existing images provided by my collaborator Rohan Dod.

In the medium to long term, I would also like to find out if it's possible to set up DSI Studio to use as a cue a warped 3D contour tree of peripheral nerves, drawn by an anatomist in a generic manner, as well as registered to the target anatomy based on muscles and bones, and use this putative 3D contour to generate a series of seed points automatically (in the a manner similar to brain atlases). If this would require significant additions to DSI studio, we could work together on a proposal of some kind, if you have the appetite to take part. I have a top peripheral nerve neurosurgeon with an interest in this.

Thanks for your kind support.

Warm wishes,

Michel
Michel Audette, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Computational Modeling and Simulation Engineering,
Graduate Program Director, Biomedical Engineering,
Old Dominion University,
Norfolk, VA.
maud...@odu.edu; office phone: 757-683-6940

Oct 5, 2021, 4:06:37 PM10/5/21
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com, Do...@evms.edu, Niaz, Atif, sfos...@odu.edu, jsha...@odu.edu
Hi Michel,

You may try a combination of ROI/ROA regions at [Step T3a: Assign
Regions] (details:
http://dsi-studio.labsolver.org/Manual/Fiber-Tracking#TOC-Region-Types
) to get better results.

> In the medium to long term, I would also like to find out if it's possible to set up DSI Studio to use as a cue a warped 3D contour tree of peripheral nerves, drawn by an anatomist in a generic manner, as well as registered to the target anatomy based on muscles and bones, and use this putative 3D contour to generate a series of seed points automatically (in a manner similar to brain atlases). If this would require significant additions to DSI studio, we could work together on a proposal of some kind, if you have the appetite to take part. I have a top peripheral nerve neurosurgeon with an interest in this.

We have manually draw brain tumor contours (an example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkWBU_qnaKg )
It seems that the anatomist can do the same here. The contour can
be used as a limiting region by first inverting it using [Regions
Misc][Modify Region][Negate] and change its region type to
terminative, which will terminate tracts when a fiber reaches it.

If your team encounter any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
Frank