dsi_studio_ubuntu_2204

Michael Bihn

Nov 8, 2022, 3:47:29 PM11/8/22
to DSI Studio

Dear Frank,

I am trying to run dsi_studio on ubuntu2204.

I downloaded the zip file, unzipped and ran dsi/dsi_studio

I received the following error:

dsi-studio/dsi_studio: error while loading shared libraries: libQt6Charts.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I was hoping that would work?

Any help is appreciated,

Michael

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Nov 8, 2022, 3:58:57 PM11/8/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
apt update && apt upgrade -y && \
  apt install -y \
  unzip \
  curl \
  cmake \
  ninja-build \
  git \
  zlib1g-dev \
  libglu1-mesa-dev \
  qt6-base-dev \
  libqt6charts6-dev \
  libqt6opengl6-dev \
  qt6-image-formats-plugins \

Michael Bihn

Nov 8, 2022, 4:39:35 PM11/8/22
to DSI Studio
Frank, Thank you, That definitely got me further along.
Now I get:

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vkkhrdisplay, vnc, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

I was unrealistically hoping re-unzipping would work, but no.

Looks like some system variable is not set for "xcb" in "" ?

Thank you in advance,

Michael

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Nov 8, 2022, 5:25:17 PM11/8/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
It seems to be the problem with Qt and the xbc, unlikely due to DSI Studio.
Google the error message may give some solutions.
Frank

Andre Gouws

Nov 8, 2022, 6:19:25 PM11/8/22
to DSI Studio
I solved this recently but can't remember of the top of my head - I'll post the solution when I'm back in the office Wed AM (GMT)

Andre'

Andre Gouws

Nov 9, 2022, 6:27:27 PM11/9/22
to DSI Studio
sorry for late reply -- one of those days ...

On a very clean install of  ubuntu 2204, running:
sudo apt-get install libxcb-xinerama0

and then:
sudo apt-get install libxkbcommon-x11-0 libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-image0 libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-randr0 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-xinerama0 libxcb-xfixes0 libegl1-mesa

Solved the problem.

Michael Bihn

Nov 11, 2022, 2:23:02 PM11/11/22
to DSI Studio
Thank you Andre (and Frank too)
I tried it and still get the same error.
How should I interpret "On a very clean install of ..."
Should I perform these instructions before the instructions from Frank?
All I have done once I received the VM with Ubuntu_2204 is
unzip the file from git
Franks instructions
and then Andre instructions.
any help is appreciated.
Respectfully, Michael

Michael Bihn

Nov 14, 2022, 2:07:21 PM11/14/22
to DSI Studio
Gentlemen,
I tried all sorts of stuff from the web and got nowhere
but I have probably trashed my VM.
So I will start over after my VM is rebuilt with Ubuntu 2204.
A very clean install.
Should I get the zip file from:
or from
Should franks inputs above be performed before/after Andres inputs.
Should I hold off on the unzip until after your inputs?
Is there anything else that needs to be installed?
I like the advertisement "Download and unzip to run the executive. No installation needed"
The VM is specifically for DSI Studio.
Thank you for your patience with me.
Very Respectfully,
Michael

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Nov 14, 2022, 2:11:22 PM11/14/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Both links are good.

Michael Bihn

Nov 14, 2022, 3:02:44 PM11/14/22
to DSI Studio
Thank you Frank,
I turned on QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1
and received this:

In /home/mbihn/dsi-studio/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so:

  Plugin uses incompatible Qt library (5.12.0) [release]

"The plugin '/home/mbihn/dsi-studio/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so' uses incompatible Qt library. (5.12.0) [release]"

         not a plugin

QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "/home/mbihn/dsi-studio/platforms" ...

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in ""

But there is no platforms directory under dsi-studio, it is under dsi-studio/plugins/?

Doesn't ubuntu 2204 use Qt 6? Do I need to load Qt5?

Respectfully,

Michael

On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 12:11:22 PM UTC-7 Frank Yeh wrote:
Both links are good.

Michael Bihn

Nov 16, 2022, 4:11:41 PM11/16/22
to DSI Studio
Gentlemen,
On a clean ubuntu 2204
I ran andre's commands.
I ran frank's commands,
I downloaded dsi_studio_ubuntu_2204.zip from https://dsi-studio.labsolver.org/download.html
I unzip dsi_studio_ubuntu_2204.zip
I run dsi_studio/dsi_studio
I still get the same error
and the plugins directory is missing now?
unzipped, replace all and still get:

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vkkhrdisplay, vnc, xcb.

Do I need to install a QT platform?

Please and thank you

Most respectfully,

Michael

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Nov 16, 2022, 4:16:23 PM11/16/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
I wished I could help, but ubuntu installation is beyond my abilities.

One possible solution is to use the docker image. Hopefully, it
bypasses some issues here.

Best regards,
Frank

Andre Gouws

Nov 17, 2022, 8:52:40 AM11/17/22
to DSI Studio
Ok - I just made a completely clean virtualbox vm build of Ubuntu 2204 using the instructions here:

N.B. at Step 1 the download link in the tutorial points to the latest ubuntu build - not 2204 so download the 2204 iso here:

I worked through the tutorial ..

NB as Step  8: Install options I chose "Minimal install" not the recommended "Normal install" - this is to minimise the amount of unnecessary software on the build

.. keep working through tutorial ..

I boot up the VM, log in and open the terminal - at this point pop up dialog will likely tell you "Ubuntu 2204 has chnged since this download - do you wish to update?" -- Select yes. wait until that is done

The system will restart after the above updates

open firefox

unpack the folder somewhere useful

open a terminal

cd to dsi studio folder

run ./dsi_studio

you will likely get a Qt / Qt charts error

run   sudo apt-get update

the system may / may not need to restart [i restart is needed, log back in, open terminal and cd to dsi studio folder

run ./dsi_studio

you will STILL likely get a Qt / Qt charts error

now run    sudo apt-get install qt6-base dev

run ./dsi_studio

you will STILL STILL  likely get a Qt / Qt charts error

run  sudo apt-get install qt6charts6-dev

run ./dsi_studio

you should be good to go!

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Nov 17, 2022, 9:24:37 AM11/17/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com

Frank Garcea

Jul 28, 2023, 11:56:49 AM7/28/23
to DSI Studio
Hey everyone,

I was having this issue recently after upgrading to Ubuntu 2204. Specifically, when running dsi studio I would get the following error:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in ""
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I followed all directions outlined above and still got the same error.

For all who are still struggling with this issue, try my solution.

CD into the directory with the libqxcb.so file
cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt6/plugins/platforms/

And then overwrite the version of it that exists local to the DSI studio app:
cp libqxcb.so ~/Desktop/dsi-studio/plugins/platforms/

After doing that I ran ./dsi_studio in terminal without an issue.

Best,
FG

Frank Yeh

Jul 28, 2023, 12:02:37 PM7/28/23
to frank....@gmail.com, DSI Studio
I am listing this solution on the DSI Studio download page.
Thanks for the tips!
Frank
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsi-studio/1c2b140e-aeca-4a0c-abfb-ac75270bc617n%40googlegroups.com.

Frank Garcea

Jul 28, 2023, 12:33:37 PM7/28/23
to DSI Studio
Now that I'm testing it, I'm noticing that it is buggy.

For example, when running the GUI version there is no progress bar when running TOPUP/eddy and when creating a FIB file.

Also, when opening a FIB file, DSI_Studio crashes with these comments:

QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
qt.qpa.backingstore: composeAndFlush: QOpenGLContext creation failed
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
qt.qpa.backingstore: composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
qt.qpa.backingstore: composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
qt.qpa.backingstore: composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I'm not sure what's going on but I don't think the process I outlined is the ultimate fix.

FG

Frank Yeh

Jul 28, 2023, 12:42:00 PM7/28/23
to frank....@gmail.com, DSI Studio
A solution suggested by ChatGPT. worth trying:

The error message you are seeing, "QXcbIntegration: Cannot create
platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled," is related
to Qt, a popular C++ framework used for building cross-platform
applications. This error usually occurs when trying to use Qt's OpenGL
functionality without the required libraries (GLX or EGL) being
properly configured.

To fix this issue, you can follow these steps:

Check if OpenGL is installed: Ensure that you have the necessary
OpenGL libraries installed on your system. The required libraries are
typically provided by the graphics driver and are specific to your
GPU. Make sure you have the appropriate drivers for your graphics card
installed.

Check for GLX or EGL support: Qt can use either GLX (for X11-based
systems) or EGL (for Wayland and some other systems). The error
message suggests that neither of them is enabled or available.

For X11-based systems, make sure you have GLX support:

On Ubuntu or Debian-based systems, install the necessary package with:
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx
On other distributions, look for the appropriate package for GLX support.

For Wayland and some other systems, make sure you have EGL support:

On Ubuntu or Debian-based systems, install the necessary package with:
sudo apt-get install libegl1-mesa
On other distributions, look for the appropriate package for EGL support.

Restart your application: After installing the required libraries,
make sure to restart your application to apply the changes and see if
the error persists.

Verify Qt configuration: Ensure that your Qt installation is properly
configured to use the correct OpenGL backend. If you built Qt from
source, make sure you passed the appropriate flags to enable OpenGL
support. If you are using a pre-built binary package, ensure it was
compiled with OpenGL support.

Check for conflicting libraries: Sometimes, conflicting libraries or
environment variables can cause issues. Ensure that there are no
conflicting versions of OpenGL libraries on your system and that there
are no environment variables that override the library paths used by
Qt.

Hardware and driver compatibility: Double-check that your hardware and
graphics drivers support the version of OpenGL required by your
application. Older hardware or outdated drivers may not support the
latest OpenGL versions.

By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the
"QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX
nor EGL are enabled" error and enable the necessary OpenGL
functionality in your Qt application.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsi-studio/dfa6803e-8148-484d-a5cb-2ac7e8b59cebn%40googlegroups.com.

Frank Garcea

Jul 28, 2023, 12:51:47 PM7/28/23
to DSI Studio
Interesting. Before you posted I CD'd here..

cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt6/plugins/xcbglintegrations/

and copied libqxcb-egl-integration.so  libqxcb-glx-integration.so here..

cp *lib* ~/Desktop/dsi-studio/plugins/xcbglintegrations/

...and it seems to fix the FIB file issue.

Though I'm still without a progress bar when running TOPUP/EDDY.
I'm not sure how to address that problem.

FG