Connectivity matrix calculation

Mattia De Francisci

Aug 30, 2022, 10:49:29 AM8/30/22
to DSI Studio
Dear Frank,

I used DSI studio to obtain connectivity matrices starting from whole brain tractographies stored in .trk formats. I did the same using MRtrix (after converting my tractographies from .trk to .tck with https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/blob/master/nibabel/cmdline/trk2tck.py). I compared the mean matrices I obtained by using the two tools (from the same pool of subjects), and , although the general structure is preserved, DSI studio version of the mean structural connectivity matrix is sparser. I was wondering whether some filtering is applied in the connectivity matrix calculation in DSI (apart from the connectivity threshold, which I manually set to 0).

Best regards,
Mattia

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Aug 30, 2022, 11:19:22 AM8/30/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there is a threshold used to assign zero to the matrix entries if
their values are lower than a ratio multiplied by the maximum value of
the matrix. Usually, this ratio is 0.001 and can be adjusted at GUI or
command line (e.g. --connectivity_threshold).
Frank

Mattia De Francisci

Aug 31, 2022, 11:07:29 AM8/31/22
to DSI Studio
Dear Frank,
Thank you for your reply. I'm aware of that threshold and in fact I set it to 0, so that no entry would be artificially put to 0.

But I still get different results from MRtrix and DSI-studio. It seems like the number of connections reported in DSI matrix is systematically lower than the MRtrix version. So i was wondering if this could be explained somehow by the algorithm DSI studio uses to assign the streamlines to the node. Which is the condition for assigning a streamline endpoint to a node of the parcellatiion? Is there any constraint, maybe based on some anatomical assumption?

Thank you a lot,
Mattia

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Sep 1, 2022, 10:41:27 PM9/1/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mattia,

I don't recall anything special in calculating the matrix. It is
just a simple match of the rounded coordinates.

Perhaps we can run a simplified example (e.g. left arcuate
fasciculus) and see what may have caused the difference?

Best regards,
Frank

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 11:07 AM Mattia De Francisci
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsi-studio/bd87dfec-9ef5-4c14-bd03-7734b53d36f1n%40googlegroups.com.

Mattia De Francisci

Sep 9, 2022, 7:53:10 AM9/9/22
to DSI Studio
Hi Frank,

I think that MRtrix uses a radial search for assigning the streamlines to the nodes. I tried to change this rule and simply match the coordinates: now the matrices are much more similar. Thanks a lot!