tracts orientation and curls in spinal cord tracting

Yit Lam

Dec 2, 2023, 6:34:34 AM12/2/23
to DSI Studio
Hi Frank,
Recently I came across some issues using dsi studio to build a tractography of spinal cord of mice with in-vivo or ex-vivo scanning data.  Here are some details.

1. in-vivo data were scanned  in the axial direction, due to the phiological curve of mice(fig1), the center of axial figures cannot be align neatly on the same stright line. And thereafter the tracted fibers are segmented in different levels and not continuous(fig2). I'm wondering whether there are any ways to tract fibers along the orientation of phiological curve.

2.ex-vivo data were scanned in the sagittal direction. Tracts of fibers were found to curled and bent locally(fig3), which is inconsistent with the normal orientation of fibers. Why is that?How to fix this strange outcome.

Thanks!
Yit
fig3.png
fig2.png
fig1.png

Frank Yeh

Dec 5, 2023, 4:32:25 PM12/5/23
to mln...@163.com, DSI Studio

1. in-vivo data were scanned  in the axial direction, due to the phiological curve of mice(fig1), the center of axial figures cannot be align neatly on the same stright line. And thereafter the tracted fibers are segmented in different levels and not continuous(fig2). I'm wondering whether there are any ways to tract fibers along the orientation of phiological curve.

Sorry, there seems no way to fix that.

2.ex-vivo data were scanned in the sagittal direction. Tracts of fibers were found to curled and bent locally(fig3), which is inconsistent with the normal orientation of fibers. Why is that?How to fix this strange outcome.

Acquiring isotropic resolution may help.
Alternatively, resampling the image to isotropic at Step T2 may help.

Best regards,
Frank

Thanks!
Yit