some questions about reconstruction, correction, loading ROIs, and registration

Elijah

Jul 15, 2021, 9:49:24 AM7/15/21
to DSI Studio

Dear Dr. Yeh

    I am a graduate student new to diffusion image processing and DSI Studio. I have a few questions and would like to seek your opinions.

1.     I noticed that there are several differences between DSI studio version-2012.07 and version-2021.05. Specifically, there are several reconstruction options not available in the 2021 version, such as DSI Hamming filter, ODF Tessellation, half-sphere scheme, and Number of fibers resolved. I wonder if the options are hidden and could be activated somewhere, and if not, whether skipping the options would have any impact on the reconstruction results. I also wonder what they mean, but couldn’t find any documentation describing them, so if you have any simple reference on them, please let me know.

2.     I wonder if there is any tool for correction for head motion, eddy current distortion, and susceptibility-induced distortion in the DSI Studio. Our lab’s diffusion-weighted imaging data was acquired using a twice-refocused balanced spin-echo diffusion echo-planar imaging sequence with the half-sphere sampling scheme (a total of 102 diffusion gradient vectors was applied).

3.     I try to seek any potential streamlines between the locus coeruleus and trans-entorhinal/para-hippocampal cortex. For this purpose, I load some ROI NIFTI files provided from open resources (one is locus coeruleus atlas [1], the other is locus coeruleus-transentorhinal cortex bundle atlas [2]). As far as I know, all of them are registered into the MNI152 space; therefore, I used [Regions Misc][Open MNI region] to load them into the native diffusion space on fiber tracking step. However, one of them [1] was loaded successfully into the native space in this way while the other was not (and no error message popped out, either). Even though [2] could be established by loading it as slices ([Slices][Insert MNI Images]) and making the ROI indirectly ([Regions Misc][Modify Region][Threshold]), I am still uncertain if it is a correct way, and wonder why I couldn’t load it directly.

4.     I am also curious about the differences between loading a T1-weighted image by using [Slices][Insert T1w/T2w Images] on the fiber tracking step and registering a diffusion image into the T1-weighted image by [Edit][Resample to T1w/T2w] on the reconstruction step. I discover that the image resolution reconstructed by the latter was higher, and the shape of the ROI loaded was more plausible, but I don’t know if it is the better way to perform fiber tracking.

I will very appreciate your help, thank you.

Frank Yeh

Aug 25, 2021, 6:57:28 PM8/25/21
to DSI Studio
Sorry for my late reply.
I just found Gmail sendtseveral discussion threads to my SPAM folder, and I missed your thread.

    I am a graduate student new to diffusion image processing and DSI Studio. I have a few questions and would like to seek your opinions.

1.     I noticed that there are several differences between DSI studio version-2012.07 and version-2021.05. Specifically, there are several reconstruction options not available in the 2021 version, such as DSI Hamming filter, ODF Tessellation, half-sphere scheme, and Number of fibers resolved. I wonder if the options are hidden and could be activated somewhere, and if not, whether skipping the options would have any impact on the reconstruction results. I also wonder what they mean, but couldn’t find any documentation describing them, so if you have any simple reference on them, please let me know.

Those parameters are for cartesian DSI  reconstruction, which can be replaced by GQI. Thus those parameters become obsolete.

2.     I wonder if there is any tool for correction for head motion, eddy current distortion, and susceptibility-induced distortion in the DSI Studio. Our lab’s diffusion-weighted imaging data was acquired using a twice-refocused balanced spin-echo diffusion echo-planar imaging sequence with the half-sphere sampling scheme (a total of 102 diffusion gradient vectors was applied).

FSL 's eddy may still work for head motion correction.
DSI Studio also has a motion correction at [Step T2 Reconstruction][Correction][Motion correction]

[...]

You may send me the ROI, and I can help checking.

4.     I am also curious about the differences between loading a T1-weighted image by using [Slices][Insert T1w/T2w Images] on the fiber tracking step and registering a diffusion image into the T1-weighted image by [Edit][Resample to T1w/T2w] on the reconstruction step. I discover that the image resolution reconstructed by the latter was higher, and the shape of the ROI loaded was more plausible, but I don’t know if it is the better way to perform fiber tracking.

I will very appreciate your help, thank you.

Both ways should work. The only difference is that the latter has a resampling of the original data. The image resolution is going to be different.

Best regards,
Frank