Big Data for Peace (Summer School)

Thomas Baar

May 11, 2015, 9:12:04 AM5/11/15
to DS4-Soc...@googlegroups.com
BIG DATA FOR PEACE SUMMER SCHOOL

Leiden University, Centre for Innovation, Peace Informatics Lab
Location: Centre for Innovation, The Hague
Date: 6 – 17 July 2015

Due to overwhelming demand for our first Big Data for Peace Summer School in 2014, we are happy to announce the second edition in July 2015. Register today (limited places available)

Why attend?
This summer school is for professionals and students* with a keen interest in the impact of Big Data for the international peace & justice sector. You will learn about the latest trends in data-driven innovation, about the lessons learned thus far regarding Big Data in the sector, and how to apply new methodologies to collect, analyse and disseminate data streams. At the end of the 2-week programme, you will have gained an in-depth overview of current and potential developments vis-à-vis Big Data for peace. During the action labs you will tackle concrete case studies that help you to appreciate the limits and opportunities of peace informatics. The course is designed in a way that it supports cross-disciplinary learning and encourages networking during the course with peers in The Hague. No prior IT knowledge required.

MA. PhD, post docs in humanities, in social, political, economic or data science

PROGRAMME

Peace informatics is about the latest trends in Big Data and the impact these have on the peace & justice sector in the coming years.
The summer school programme consists of three thematic tracks:

  • Policy - what changes because public authorities now have new means to address peace & justice?
  • Behaviour - what changes in peace & justice because of people using more digital technologies?
  • Governance & Ethics - what are the consequences for regulatory frameworks and oversight?

Our educational approach includes theory labs, think labs and action labs.
Each thematic track runs as a separate block of 3 consecutive days; these are structured in a way that theory, think and action labs are well-balanced throughout each block.

Day 1: Introduction
Days 2-4: Policy
Days 5-7: Behaviour
Days 8-10: Governance & Ethics

Teaching staff for theory and action labs comes from Leiden University (Peace Informatics Lab, Leiden Centre of Data Science, elaw, Institute for Public Administration), Stanford University (H-STAR) and New York University (GovLab).
Think lab speakers are pioneers in the field of data-driven innovation on peace & justice.

We are located in the City of Peace & Justice. To make the most of your stay in The Hague, we also offer an (optional) social programme with plenty of opportunities for networking; including a visit to the International Criminal Court and the OPCW, a summer school dinner, a cocktail reception at the beach and a weekend tour to Amsterdam.

FEE INFORMATION

Fee (students): 750 Euro
Fee (professionals): 1200 Euro

Fees include: catering, transport to site visits, summer school dinner, cocktail reception.
Each participant will receive a certificate of attendance by Leiden University.

Housing is not included. If you would like us to assist in arranging accommodation, please send an e-mail toc.t.van....@cdh.leidenuniv.nl

johnbri...@gmail.com

May 24, 2018, 5:01:12 AM5/24/18
to Data Science for Social Good

Data aggregation is any process in which information is gathered and expressed in a summary form, for purposes such as statistical analysis. A common aggregation purpose is to get more information about particular groups based on specific variables such as age, profession, or income.
Data aggregation can be user-based: personal data aggregation services offer the user a single point for collection of their personal information from other Web sites.